Speaker impendance

Started by EdJ, September 05, 2003, 08:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdJ

Hi,i have this question which is keeping me busy for a while;can one change the impendance of a speaker?I have a few 16 Ohm speakers and an amp who`s only got an 8 Ohm tab on it`s OT.Is ther a way to change the speakers(i don`t want another OT `cause it is an original Simcha Delft)Thanks in advance,
Ed
p.s.i want a single speaker cabinet.

petemoore59

If the speaker is 16 ohm you should have no troubles running it with most any modern guitar amp.
 The only way to change the ohmage is to recone it, conectt it in parallel with another speaker [of the same ohmage or volume difference between the two will result closer ohmage match usually = better] which increases the load on the output amp, or series which decreases the load on the amp.
 2 x 8 ohm spks paralle l=4 ohms
 2 x8 ohms seriesed = 16 ohms
 2x 16 ohms parallel = 8 ohms
 2 x 16 ohms series = 32 ohms
  four speakers...
pair     > paralleled = 4

>these two pairs of paralleled spksparalled=2ohms

pair     >paralleled = 4
  If you parallel two pairs of paralleled 8 ohm speakers it looks like^that.

seriesed/parallel combinations of same ohm speakers brings it back to the same ohmage as one of the speakers alone. Like this:
pair         >seriesed

>these two pairs of S'd speakers paralleled=8 ohm

pair       >seriesed  

EdJ

toneless

Keep in mind that your amplifier will still play with the 16ohm speaker but with less output...from the other side if you connect your amp with a speaker that has lower impedance you''ll probably fry the output tran!

Nick Prionas