what circuit to have JH RedHouse sound??

Started by cbriere, August 31, 2005, 09:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbriere

My new band is doing some Hendrix cover,
and i would like to have his sound like the song
"red house" . Any suggestion?

I am thinking of buing an FuzzFace but, seems there are lots of variations.
My guitar is a Fender strat, standard SC, maple neck,
Amp is a "the twin" really loud.
thanks

Marcos - Munky

Yun

i can get that redhouse tone by:

Using my hollow body (neck or middle position, tone rolled back)---->my marshall stack (Dirty setting on lead channel)

But you have a fender amp eh?  i'd suggest a ge ff as well.  But use the middle, or neck position on a guitar (preferably humbuckers, if you can) with the tone rolled back.  Also try to make your amp a tad bit muddy, not too much, and use the ge ff with the fuzz control at 1-2 o' clock....
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

petemoore

Gotta love the Ge FF"s, they do so much.
 Same goes for hybrid like *EZ Face, superb.
 FF;s...its all about the transistors, oh and the caps, and also about half of the resistors...other than that it's wire it and fire it up !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RedHouse

Humbucker equipped Gibson, slapback echo (very important) and a FF into a Marshall, works every time, with the right Marshall you don't need the FF.

I can also get a good facsimile with my PX4 beleive it or not.

Nasse

I quess there was longish slowish delay

(goes to the cupboard, finds the cd, listens it)

Yep, and cool cymbals and snare too, and some finger vibrato and bending too

Maybe Rebote Delay or pt80 could do the delay job
  • SUPPORTER

nooneknows

BTW, for that particular song it seems Hendrix used a pawnshop guitar equipped with some kind of humbuckers stuck on the pickup cover with adhesive tape, a pretty weird setup, in my opinion... :)

cbriere

Quote from: nooneknowsBTW, for that particular song it seems Hendrix used a pawnshop guitar equipped with some kind of humbuckers stuck on the pickup cover with adhesive tape, a pretty weird setup, in my opinion... :)

WHere did you get this info.???

The Tone God

It depends on which version you are talking about. There was atleast two if not three versions that were released on various albums. They all have different tones.

Andrew

aaronkessman

i've heard that in the studio, he used cranked twins quite frequently.

no reason you shouldnt be able to get a passable tone out of the strat and cranked twin. if you want to be cranking that amp :)

BD13UK

On the original version *Are You Experienced* album it's undoubtedly a Strat using the front p/up and as it was late 66/67 it must have been a Ge FF, it becomes most noticable when the guitar is cranked for the solo, it's also likely to have been a Marshall and 4x12 but You should get close enough with the Twin if You bring up the middle back off on the treble and add sufficient bass. What I'm saying is really only applicable to the version on the first album, theres no other obvious effects added.
Brian

Mark F

Quote from: nooneknowsBTW, for that particular song it seems Hendrix used a pawnshop guitar equipped with some kind of humbuckers stuck on the pickup cover with adhesive tape, a pretty weird setup, in my opinion... :)
I read the same thing in at least one biography printed in the '70's I think it was stated that it was a cheap Hofner that was literally falling apart, thus the scotch tape. Why he would be using a cheap guitar that was falling apart is anybody's guess. If that is even true.

Fret Wire

If I remember correctly, Jimi used an Epiphone semi-hollow body on that cut (Are you Exp. version). Also, there is no base per se on that cut. Noel Redding played the baseline on a guitar with the tone turned down.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)