Clairex CLM6000 - On Ebay

Started by Dave_B, September 01, 2005, 10:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_B

FYI - Someone on Ebay is selling 25-piece lots of the Clairex CLM6000's on Ebay.  In 1986, I paid $2 apiece for them, so for me these things are a steal.
Help build our Wiki!

nelson

I wonder if they have CLM8200/2's....
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Dave_B

Quote from: nelsonI wonder if they have CLM8200/2's....
Yes, two separate lots of 10.  

Not my auctions, btw.
Help build our Wiki!

toneman

Carefull on those CLM6000.
Some of these might be "out of spec" items.
I see lots of these floating around.
Would make a phaser behave very screwy.
Usually they are advertized as OOS.
Didn't SmallBear used to carry some??
staycautious
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

smallbearelec

I bought a bunch of what were billed as CLM6000 directly from Clairex when they had their "last buy." I quickly found that very few of the devices actually made the spec for under 500 ohms light resistance. That's why I offer them in three grades: Guaranteed to meet spec, slightly out-of-spec, and out-of-spec. Many of the out-of-spec parts are still useable for something, but you should not buy an unsorted lot with the expectation that they will be peas-in-a-pod. To test them (as explained to me by one of the engineers at Clairex):

Set up four penlight batteries in series (Don't use a power supply with a filter cap). Check to see that you have something like 6.0 volts. Connect a 200 ohm resistor in series, and use this as your power source for the LED side. With the LED powered, a good CLM6000 should measure under 500 ohms on the cell side.

Those E-Bay parts might be a good buy. But if you need one for a specific job or for comparison, please visit my stock list.

Steve Daniels
smallbearelec.com

toneman

Hey Steve,
Nothin' wrong with tootin' your own horn .
:)

As 4 testin' the optos--
Good testing technique !!
8)

stayisolated!
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Thanks for that testing tip, Steve! I have a bag of them that turned up at a general 2/h electronics seller in Snohomish :wink: and, SOME of them were OK! I suspect that maybe moisture diffuses into them & degrades the diode, but I can't really say. The guy I got them from was OK about it, I think we worked it out somehow.

stay 'opto'mistic!

RedHouse

So Paul, is there a Snohomish in Australia?

Stevo

25 went for 32 dollars...I guess that is a good deal if they work..Probably OK for a compression type fuzz?? :D
practice cause time does not stop...

nelson

You know it is purely people who visit this forum pushing those prices up.....
Before people started reading this thread they werent selling for $9.95
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: RedHouseSo Paul, is there a Snohomish in Australia?
I think the closest one is in Washington State (that's where the parts came from, Ron Black, God bless him! Old ham radio guys are really sympatico with us DIY stompboxers, because we're the only guys still soldering!)

Dave_B

OK folks, here's how I made out on the eBay CLM6000's.  I measured them with four D cells and 200 ohms of resistance, breaking them up into semi-logical groups.  The first number (in bold) is the piece count for that group.  The second is the range of values in the group.

2   561-574 ohms
4   626-711 ohms
7   754-833 ohms
7   1K-2.35K
5   3.3K-7.24K

I know the goal is 500 ohms, but I'm guessing the stuff less than 1K should be usable somewhere, right?
Help build our Wiki!

ErikMiller

This is the only CLM6000 thread I can find on the new board, so I'll point out that while Mike Quinn Electronics (http://www.mikequinnelectronics.com/) does have them, they may not have them on their website. Phone them up during business hours and they will be happy to sell them to you with a credit card number.

The guy who will probably answer the phone, Jay, knew Craig Anderton personally when Mike Quinn and Bill Godbout were sharing a building. Craig hung out at Godbout's and got most of his parts at Quinn's.

That's why some of the parts he used were on the verge of obsolescence even when the book was published: they were already surplus "junk box" parts.

Dave_B

Quote from: ErikMiller on September 24, 2005, 04:58:01 PM
This is the only CLM6000 thread I can find on the new board, so I'll point out that while Mike Quinn Electronics (http://www.mikequinnelectronics.com/) does have them, they may not have them on their website. Phone them up during business hours and they will be happy to sell them to you with a credit card number.
Thanks for posting that, Erik.  I responded on the old board before figuring out that I should have done it here.  The info on Craig and Godbout was interesting. 
Help build our Wiki!