Mod: JRC4558's

Started by no one ever, September 04, 2005, 05:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no one ever

anyone else notice that in the boss hf-2 there are 2 (count em) JRC4558DD chips?

I'm thinking of pulling one out and replacing the chip in my ts9dx... and then using the other one for a friends. how much should i charge?  :twisted:  :?:

I just read up on these... people are saying "it's hard to find a worse opamp chip..." why is this so popular then?
(chk chk chk)

AL

Quotepeople are saying "it's hard to find a worse opamp chip..." why is this so popular then?

Hype

AL

nelson

Quote from: AL
Quotepeople are saying "it's hard to find a worse opamp chip..." why is this so popular then?

Hype

AL

because (insert your favourite guitarist here) had the original 80's JRC4558D opamp in his (insert overhyped pedal here).

its a bog standard dual opamp.

many prefer the sound of others.

TL072 is lower noise....

I use TL072 for my duals...

the OPA series from TI is supposed to be great and burr brown chips are also well loved around here.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

no one ever

alrighty then. i'll buy a bunch of chips and a socket and compare em.

maybe i'll post clips.
(chk chk chk)

sir_modulus

I'm a burr brown man...though I do have to say the JRC4558DD's sound really nice in my marshall practice amp (I've tried some RC4558's in there...sounds different...but very close). It's all a matter of slight taste IMO.

Cheers,

Nish

no one ever

is there a difference between JRC4558D and DD's?
(chk chk chk)

nelson

the DD attract groupies with bigger boobies...........

seriously though I think it has to do with temp tolerance although I aint sure.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

KE4NYV

Oooh!  Did someone say big boobies???

Seriously, I just ordered 10 of these on friday...

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=525647&e_categoryid=268&e_pcodeid=51303

A Mouser search for the JRC part came up with these as a cross-ref part.  When I get them in I'll try them out and see what kind of grainy dist I can get out of these.  Has anyone else tried these out?  Are they similar to the JRC part or a poor re-issue of sorts?
Jason
www.ke4nyv.com
RPC Electronics
www.rpc-electronics.com
My Guitar Gear:
www.ke4nyv.com/guitar.htm

no one ever

Quote from: KE4NYVOooh!  Did someone say big boobies???

Seriously, I just ordered 10 of these on friday...

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=525647&e_categoryid=268&e_pcodeid=51303

A Mouser search for the JRC part came up with these as a cross-ref part.  When I get them in I'll try them out and see what kind of grainy dist I can get out of these.  Has anyone else tried these out?  Are they similar to the JRC part or a poor re-issue of sorts?

wow .18! not to deter anyone from the great service and supply at small bear, but they're .40 there...

i wonder how these DD's are used in my flanger...
(chk chk chk)

Mark F

Quote from: no one everalrighty then. i'll buy a bunch of chips and a socket and compare em.
That..........is the best thing you could do! Then You will know what sounds better to You and not just what you heard or read about a certain chip etc. And just think of all the fun you'll have learning about different op-amps. :)

no one ever

Quote from: Mark F
Quote from: no one everalrighty then. i'll buy a bunch of chips and a socket and compare em.
That..........is the best thing you could do! Then You will know what sounds better to You and not just what you heard or read about a certain chip etc. And just think of all the fun you'll have learning about different op-amps. :)

thank you! i could use a few suggestions though for a chip compatible with the ts9dx...
(chk chk chk)

nelson

any dual opamp with the same pinout.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

no one ever

Quote from: nelsonany dual opamp with the same pinout.

where's a resource for pinouts?
(chk chk chk)

nelson

you get pinouts on datasheets. Most dual opamps share the same pinout ie V+ on pin 8 and V-/ground on pin 4.

Whenever I need to check a datasheet I just google "Partnumber datasheet"

www.alldatasheet.com usually comes up with it.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X