Spray Paint Booth

Started by audioguy, September 04, 2005, 07:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioguy

Some time ago someone posted a PDF detailing the construction of a spray paint booth (more of a box really). I've searched and come up empty each time.

Does anyone knkow what Im talking about- or better yet have the file or any plans for a simple spray paint box?

Thanks!
AG

ddes

I havent spray painted boxes, but I have primed small, 28mm scale figures :)

Use a big cardboard box, but newspapers all over the place and infront of the box aswell. Paint as normal... lol  :)  Worked for me. Use bursts of spray, from far enough. Too close - drops, too far - no paint. Experimeting :)

Rochey

i think it'd be funny to use an old broken microwave...

that way, you could use the motor that rotates the plate to sit the unit on, and spray away! :)

you could also warm up your coffee once it's gone cold.

8)

sir_modulus

Yes man, I feel your pain here. I've always wanted to spray polyurethane paints at home, but they need a spray booth (preferreably with negative pressure). I just don't have the money to do it, so I just go to my cousin's house to paint as he's lisenced to shoot poly and has a booth.

The basic thing is this, the booth is a just huge and like a room or shed outside.The ventilation in a simple booth is through two matched fans (both about 3000cfm), one pulling in, one exhausting. Usually the intake air is also filtered and sometimes ionized for better spraying results.

Here's a little site that kinda shows you how to build booths:
http://www.ronjoseph.com/Q&A/spraybooth.htm

smashinator

What you need for a spray booth depends on what you want to spray.  If you're spraying non-toxic paints, you can get away with a box with a furnace filter and a fan.  

If you're spraying poly-urethanes, you'll need something a lot more robust (and fire proof).  

Forget about shooting 2 part clear coats unless you want to catch a severe case of dead.  Make friends with a body shop and ask them to do your clear.

There is a good deal of info over at www.airbrush.com.  Be sure to search before you ask questions, because the "use the search" police are in full effect.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

SteveB

I made one for painting model cars, & is also big enough to paint FX boxes.

It's a wall mounted cabinet with an open back that I got at Lowes for under $30 about 4 years ago. I closed up the back with wood and cut a circular hole to mount a blower motor to. The blower motor is from Grainger & I seem to remember it being in the $60 price range. I bought a small fluorescent lamp & mounted it to the ceiling of the box. The filtration is any type of thick air conditioner filter. The vent is run though the window opening & I remove the horizontal section when not using the spray booth, to be able to close the window.

99% of the time I am shooting lacquers in this, & have no problems with fumes, & surely no problems with overspray. When spraying 2 part paints, I wear a 2 stage respirator. I have a small incandescent deck lamp that I can put inside & close the door for a mild low temp. baking oven.

Hope this helps,
Steve

audioguy

That looks great! Thanks for sharing

Penguin

there was a sanding booth up some time ago but its just a basic thing heres the old link still works

http://www.geocities.com/ansilgregory/sandingbooth.htm

you could probally use this for painting though
In a corner of the churchyard, Where the myrtle boughs entwine, Grow the roses in their poses, Fertilized by Clementine.