Boss SE-70 multi effect ......

Started by MartyMart, September 07, 2005, 05:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

I never "owned" one before and for a while they got V-expensive and are
quite sought after.
I had use them in studios during the '90's and was always impressed ....
I managed to find one for a more reasonable amount and have to say
its a fantastic little box :D
It seems to be an "analog/digital" hybrid, as its way, way before any
of the cosm/modelling products ( came out in 1991 I think )
The great news for guitar use, is that it contains the following ( amongst others)
VB-2 vibrato
Slow gear
Leslie simulator
OD/Distortion ( though not the "best" quite usable )
Analog Phaser/Flanger
A decent analog delay simulation
digital delay
Vocoder
Bass/Gtr "synth" which doesn't trigger too well !!
etc, etc

Just a couple of those would set you back much more than I paid for this
if you can find one.... GET IT  !!
I'm in "chorus/vib/wobble" heaven  :D

Anyone use one and have comments/tips ?  apart from " read the bloody
manual"  !!   :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

tommy.genes

Yeah, I still have an SE-70 from when I thought digital rack effects were the way to go. (Then I thought laptop-based VST effects were the way to go, and now I'm starting to build my own analog stompboxes... But that's another topic.)

The delay, modulation, reverb etc. effects are really sweet, with seemingly endless variations and complexities. The ring mod is pretty cool, and even the synth effects have their uses. The digital distortion and filters pretty much SUCK. And I don't think there is anything hybrid or analog about this puppy, I'm pretty sure it's straight digital.

Given the things the SE-70 does well, however, it is conceivable that it might make it back into my rig in the effects loop of my amp. At the very least, I'm keeping it for home recording.

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

Ripper

I've got the se-50 and I love it.  Great delays, great chorus and various other effects.  I use it alot when I gig.  These are great units and worth every penny

MartyMart

Quote from: tommy.genes

The delay, modulation, reverb etc. effects are really sweet, with seemingly endless variations and complexities. The ring mod is pretty cool, and even the synth effects have their uses. The digital distortion and filters pretty much SUCK. And I don't think there is anything hybrid or analog about this puppy, I'm pretty sure it's straight digital.

-- T. G. --

Well, yes there's AtoD input and DtoA output, but the manual says "Analog distortion for warm tones not possible with Digital distortion
techniques" ...... so, I was wondering if there's a second conversion inside, to run the signal through op-amp/diode distortion some how ?
When isolated and "edited" the Dist/OD sound ain't that bad  !! :D

I've got the "nasty" cab simulator "off" and running it direct to my valve
head ..... interesting  ?
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

tommy.genes

Quote from: MartyMart...but the manual says "Analog distortion for warm tones not possible with Digital distortion techniques"
Well, I stand corrected on the analog bit. I never did like the distortion though. Granted, when I was using the SE-70 full time, it was in the effects loop of a SansAmp PSA-1, so in terms of distortion effects it was probably like racing a Yugo against a Ferrari...

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

Ripper

I never like the distortion in mine either, especially when using it with a solid state amp, but I have found that when toned down a bit and used to help drive a good tube amp, they aren't bad at all.  You can get some really good lead boost this way too.  I use a ten pedal midi controller with mine which I modified with an on off stomp switch and a jack to connect to the unit.  It works great.