Thunderchief + Jfet Vulcan circuit + OT:Lanegan

Started by nooneknows, September 08, 2005, 06:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nooneknows

I was reading some posts about circuits reproducing the Marshall type of sound.
I once tried to recreate the clssic Jimi Hendrix Monterey vibe with a circuit some time ago (there are some posts in this forum) but, after the initial good results,  I've found it did sound well only in particular setup and rig, a bit too narrow for my taste.
I think the Thunderchief style of circuit is a good start. I'm thinking about, adding a three knobs Marshall tone stack, driven by a source follower, instead of the second gain stage of the original ROG circuit (I think the thunderchief is too high gain for my style).
But the Jfet Vulcan attracted my attention, the diode/10MR trick is really interesting, so i'm going to write down a thunderchief circuit implementing this feature.
Before doing that, please, I'd like to know if there's something like this already done and, maybe, already tested around, just to have a starting point, saving time. Otherwise, as soon as I can, I'll try it by myself.

thank you in advance
Marcello

PS OT: Yesterday I've seen Mark Lanegan here in Milan, singing with Afterhours (an italian band) and Greg Dulli... is there any pedal around reproducing his voice? :D :P

Mark F

Have you tried building the Thunderchief using other FET's? I built it ,including tone stack, using 5458's instead of 201's and it's not so "heavy" so to speak. Give it a try. :)

dominatrix_volleyball

I could be wrong about this, but I think introducing some negative feedback into the first stage would minimize how hard the circuit hits the following FETS. Putting a resistor in series with the source cap could reduce some gain.