R28 mod ROCKS!

Started by nero1985, September 09, 2005, 01:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nero1985

:D  i didnt like it stock so i desoldered the R28 and WOWWWWWWWW

its just LIQUID!!!!! i love it! im living it STOCK like this, i might put a DPDT toggle to take the CAPs out of the circuit since it seems like that the one that gives u even a closer sound to the script

mojotron

Quote from: nero1985:D  i didnt like it stock so i desoldered the R28 and WOWWWWWWWW

its just LIQUID!!!!! i love it! im living it STOCK like this, i might put a DPDT toggle to take the CAPs out of the circuit since it seems like that the one that gives u even a closer sound to the script

Nero my friend, a little bit of context please  :D  What does this relate to?

Perhaps the R56 mod is twice a great!

Fret Wire

I take it you're talking about the Phase 90 reissue. Are you talking about switching the C11 & C12 caps?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

nero1985

yeah i might just switch the caps but im leaving the R28 mod stock, its just WAY better sounding, whats that R56 mod?

Peter Snowberg

Quote...whats that R56 mod?

BTW: The R112 mod is twice better still. ;)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Doug_H

Quote from: Peter Snowberg
Quote...whats that R56 mod?

BTW: The R112 mod is twice better still. ;)

It is twice as good but it's merely a linear voltage dividing effect.  The best one yet is the C14 mod. Although it appears to only be 1/4 as good as the R56 mod, or 1/2 as good as the original R28 mod, it is much better because of the frequency filtering rolloff it provides. So it's much more bang for the buck, as mods go.

Doug

vanhansen

Come on guys.  You're gonna confuse nero.  :D

The R28 mod is nice.  I've removed the caps too but still need to tweak it by changing R7 to 130k for unity gain.  It's still a little on the hot side.
Erik

Joe Hart

The R28 mod is simply removing resistor number 28 from the Phase 90 circuit. The C11 and C12 mod is simply removing capacitor number 11 and capacitor number 12 from the circuit. The rest is just people goofing around (just wanted to set the record straight for any new people).
-Joe Hart

petemoore

I cloned a GGG 90 [which, curiously enough is Not Twice as good as a phase 45], I don't even know if I have an R28 in there, and if so what would be it's R Value...
 Daft, I know I could probably look this up...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Joe Hart

I'm not that familiar with a P45, but I know that a P90 is kind of a different animal. So you can't really say it's twice as good because the phase shift is more. Maybe the P45 doesn't even have that resistor in the circuit because it is a different circuit.
-Joe Hart

petemoore

45 and 90 are mainly different, neither is bad both are good...IMO.
 Mine has a little click in it [more like a lump] at certain battery voltages.
 I don't know if I even Have an R28 in it...

vanhansen

Hey nero, if you find the output signal of your Phase 90 a little too hot, lower R7 from 150k to 130k.  This will give it unity gain in most setups.  It is located right above C12.  If you're not sure where that is exactly, I have a picture of the reissue board on my site (in sig below) with C12 labelled.  I just made the change to mine tonight and it really helped.  Now it's usable to me again.
Erik

nero1985

thanks guys! i did the mod and now it works GREAT! soooooooooo SWEET!

can u spell E-R-U-P-T-I-O-N?

i did the r28 and the c11 and c12 mods and it works fine, butttt

i wanna make it deeper, is there any way to do that?

thansk for ur help guys!!!

petemoore

Phase Staging Caps like univibe...don't know if you've tried that one, I messed with them a bunch and settled somewhere inbetween, the uni values made it deeper sounding I think, but also made it to more tremolo like sound.