Power consumption Question

Started by remmelt, September 09, 2005, 05:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

remmelt

What is too much? How many mAmps will drain a battery too quickly?

I am building a Red Llama (très nice) and have replaced the voltage limiting resistor in the bottom right with a 2.2K one. This did not alter tone and did reduce current flow a lot, the circuit now consumes 2.5 mA (this is without the unused gates tied to V+, so that may alter the consumption).

My LED needs a 2-3KOhm R to be nice and bright, which adds another 2-3 mA.

The entire effect would need about 5 mA of current. Is that a lot? I measured power consumption in my TS-10 Tubescreamer and it's at 6.66 mA (I'm not making this up... Scary huh?) and I consider the pedal not all that power hungry. I run it on battery quite a lot and have replaced it maybe once or twice in 2 years or so.

My question is:

What do you consider a lot of power consumption?

When would you consider dropping battery power alltogether and just sticking to wallwarts?

niftydog

well, anything over 10mA is getting pretty hungry, anything over 40-50mA is gonna be chewing through 9V batterys like the proverbial teenage boy through his grans apple pie - but it's still somewhat viable as at least the battery power option will get you through a gig or a sticky situation. Much more than that and it just becomes ridiculous.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)