GC's "Bargain' Epi amp...

Started by petemoore, September 10, 2005, 09:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

I saw a tube amp in the latest GC internet ad, showing an Epiphone amp with a 12ax7 and an output tube [el84 IIRC] for 119$.
 Seems like a good starting point for a Bedroom Studio Amp ...or small amp / mod project...
 Just thought I'd put this post here and see what is thought about the amp, I believe this is the lowest price I've seen for a tube combo amp.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

littlegreiger

I just picked one of these up the other day. They're called a Valve Junior for anyone that didn't know. And yes they do have an el84 power tube. So far I like it. For 5w it's pretty damn loud. It only has one control, volume, which I find is all I need. If you boost the signal  it sounds pretty good. I haven't decided if I'm going to mod it or not. I'd probably add a tonestack if I did. The only problem I have with it is there is some noticeable hum.

Overall I think it's a great amp for a reasonable price.
BTW, this was my first tube amp.

kiki

I bought one recently - love it! It's a great little amp.  If you look it up in Guitargeek.com's forums, there's a guy who did a pretty through analysis of the circuit and suggests some mods to quiet it up - I think his name is benadrian.

I retubed it with JJ tubes from Eurotube and it quieted noticeably, but you can probably beef up the filter caps and get that last little bit.

I'd like to add a master volume to be able to quiet it down but still get to break-up. 5 watts is LOUD!!!!!!

FYI - it has an 8" Weber Signature ceramic speaker in it. Nice choice on their part.

littlegreiger

Yeah I read that post on guitargeek. That's where I got the idea to buy this amp.
Here's the link for any that wants to check it out: Epiphone Valve Junior
He posted a schematic on the second page, I believe.

Jaicen_solo

Going on my small knowledge of tube amps, small designs such as the Fender champ tend to have fairly clean pre-amps, with most of the distortion coming from the SE output tube.  Adding a master volume will likely reduce the amount of crunch along with the volume. Maybe you should try increasing the pre-amp gain at the same time.
That said, I've not seen the schem of this particular amp so I could be wrong.

littlegreiger

For people that don't want to click on my link and read it, the guy says that the amp is based on a fender champ design. Here's a link to the schematic.

petemoore

This blurb from page of AX84 amp site:
 EL84/SV83 power tube in Class A, Single Ended configuration provides a very loud 5-7 watts of output power.
 also saying they fall between and not at the ends of Pristine/Metal tone, 'warm overdrive'...is where I see it.
 Perfect !!
 N/P Voicing a nice 'full ranger amp' using Stompboxes :idea:.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

markr04

Just a thought: modding that amp might be more trouble than $100 extra bucks:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/480262/

This one's got a 10" speaker, tone stack, master volume, DSP effects, and separate reverb.

Glad I read this thread. Both amps appear to be killer deals.
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

jrc4558

for hum, check if heaters wiring has a center tap. if it doesn't, add two 100ohm 1/2 watt resistors from each heater lead to ground to establish a virtual grounded center tap. helps a lot. also consider star grounding? read on that, if you ahvent already, at aikenamps.com

littlegreiger

Quote from: Constantin Necrasovfor hum, check if heaters wiring has a center tap. if it doesn't, add two 100ohm 1/2 watt resistors from each heater lead to ground to establish a virtual grounded center tap. helps a lot. also consider star grounding? read on that, if you ahvent already, at aikenamps.com
That's what the guy on guitargeek had suggested. However, I'm not so sure I want to open the amp and mess with it just yet.

markr04

I went to CG today to check the $219 version. It was far louder than I expected. I couldn't hear any hum from it, but it wasn't dead quiet in there - another guy was wailing through a Marshall on the other side of the store.

The effects, IMO, could've been left off. Do it right or not at all. There are 3 settings for each: delay, chorus, flanger. FX selection and settings are all on one pot. At least these effects can be defeated while leaving the reverb alone.

Maxing the gain required turning the master volume down to nearly zero for me. I'm too modest (read as: not good enough) to play loudly anyway. Nice tone throughout all gain levels, IMO.

I plan to go back when it's a bit more quiet, some morning this week, and try it again. I'm sold on the amp really, just going back to look for problems such as the hum.
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

spudulike

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

spudulike

Fret Wire

Reminds me of the Epiphone Electar Tube 10.
http://www.geocities.com/oasysco/elect10.htm

Not circuit wise of course, but deal wise. The Electar's were even cheaper ($99 towards the end). By the time I thought about checking one out to mod, they were discontinued. Nice little tube amp with plenty of mod potential. I have the schematic somewhere. I think Doug Hammond posted mods for one. You can still find them cheap on Ebay.

The Valve Jr. looks like a fun, good sounding, cheap project. Maybe this time I'll grab one. Or maybe not.... I got enough projects as it is, and twenty 5 watters is enough. :)

Of course you won't be able to mod it into a Mesa or Marshall, nor will it be as solidly built and durable as a Fender Champ. But, it's about $300 cheaper than a Tweed Champ kit, and will probably sound real good with decent tubes and some minor tuning. No reason not to join the tube club now. :)
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)