Strobopick Review:

Started by Peter Snowberg, September 10, 2005, 08:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Snowberg

After seeing the Strobopick on this forum, I just had to have one. :D Too cool.

Well, I got it today and was so excited that I just had to say something. I've barely used it yet and already it's just wonderful.

I bought it on e-bay direct from Apocrypha Group Ltd. for $37.95 including shipping. It took 10 days to arrive via regular US mail (including a 3-day weekend) and was packaged in a laser cut (!) cardboard holder that appears to be made from recycled material :mrgreen:, which was then inside a padded mailing envelope. Contents arrived in perfect shape. :D

I looks very DIY, with a home-etched board and only 12 parts, including the two batteries. The magic of this humble package is all tucked inside the PIC that runs the show.

This unit includes a little speaker to match the target note which is a very nice feature. Rather than use a piezo transducer, a little electromagnetic speaker is used so your pickups get it too! 8)

I love this thing! 8)

You can tune by eye or ear and they're both more accurate than meter based tuners.

I give it 5 Bootsies!

http://www.strobotron.com/

Normally this post would belong in the Lounge, but I really want people to see what a little digital help can bring to DIY music products. This is a really cool item!!!

Simple PIC subsystems can be built in a TINY space while the functionality they offer can be HUGE. 8)

See the ASMOP article over at GEO for an example of a perfect integration of digital and analog. ....something about the sum being greater than all the parts together. ;)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Peter Snowberg

Oh yea.... you can also use it while playing. Put some thick distortion in the effects chain and start hammering notes with one hand while waving the strobopick past the pickups.

I was just having fun with it and a Midiverb II into a Valvestate set for OD. 8)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

petemoore

Cool strobe tuner...Slick design.
 Turns out you don't need the wheel and the frequency light after all !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

puretube

marduk

That's really cool. But is this useless if your guitar is tuned in D?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: mardukThat's really cool. But is this useless if your guitar is tuned in D?

I'm not a guitarist.. but I imagine, if your guitar is tuned in D, there is a fret where you can make a C on any string, adjust, & try again..

troubledtom

i tried to buy one months ago, from the guy and he didn't even return my
emails. i hate evilbay , i been burned toooooo many times.
    i'm sure the tuner is cool, that's why i wanted one :x
                        - tom

lovekraft0

QuoteBut is this useless if your guitar is tuned in D?
When I contacted them this past Spring, they had  one for D tuning in stock. My only problem was that I'd have to have 3, since I play in a jazz/lounge thing in standard, a blues band in Eb, and a classic rock unit in D, and I don't see how you can hold the pick next to the string, fret a note and adjust the machine head all at once without a third hand. Too bad they don't make a model that's adjustable.

Alex C

Quote from: lovekraft0I don't see how you can hold the pick next to the string, fret a note and adjust the machine head all at once without a third hand..
Capo?  
This thing looks pretty neat, I'll have to look into it.

Mike Burgundy

The site mentions that you can contact them about alternate tunings and they can do custom work.
What a very cool idea!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Not sure if a capo would work, does the string stretch evenly under tuning adjustment even with the capo tight??

SonicVI

That looks a great tuner for acoustics without pickups.