Can you get 3V or 1.5V from a 9V battery?

Started by vanessa, September 11, 2005, 12:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanessa

I want to build a Maestro Fuzztone FZ-1 or FZ-1A. The FZ-1 uses 3VDC and the FZ-1A uses 1.5V.

It would be cool to be able to run a standard 9V battery in these. I have heard of using a voltage divider to get lower voltages, but I heard that the current increases, or remains the same??? Would this have an affect on the circuit in a bad way? If not what's the best way to go about doing this?

:roll:

toneman

First Q = yes

2nd Q = use an adj regulator.(LM317)

current draws what current does.

see R.G.'s site for nfo on 317.

searching this forum would give U lots! of A's.

stay
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Stevo

If i remember you can use 9-volts with the schematic I dont know whuch one you have? This pedal didnt work very well for me I dont hear of many doing it...But this is my experience you may have better luck with it...As I remember I just used a 9-volt batt..someone said it would work?...but there was hardly any gain!!
practice cause time does not stop...

gez

Quote from: toneman2nd Q = use an adj regulator.(LM317)

Wrong regulator as the 1a is positive ground.

Scroll half way down in this thread for answers:

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=21909&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Johan

here is a simple little circuit if you want to adjust the voltage without affecting the current

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/johan/adjustavolt

johan
DON'T PANIC

gez

Quote from: Johanhere is a simple little circuit if you want to adjust the voltage without affecting the current

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/johan/adjustavolt

johan

Yeah, that'll work fine if you convert it to a PNP circuit (positive ground) :)
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

toneman

gez said:

then try a LM337....

there are positives & negatives to everything

this would B a "yang" pedal as opposed to a "yin" pedal.

wax on.
staypolarized
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

This would be a good case for making the 'flat battery simulator', seeing they are fuzzes, they will probably be pretty sensitive to both voltage and power supply impedance.

Steve C

I may be missing something, but why can't you just use one AA battery for the FZ-1A and two for the FZ-1?

Mark F

Quote from: Steve CI may be missing something, but why can't you just use one AA battery for the FZ-1A and two for the FZ-1?
I believe that was the idea with the original.

vanessa

Quote from: Steve CI may be missing something, but why can't you just use one AA battery for the FZ-1A and two for the FZ-1?

Yes you’re missing the topic. I would like to do it with a 9V battery. A standard 9V will accomplish two things. It will last longer than one or two AA batteries and will fit in a standard 1590B enclosure. Sure you could get an AA to fit a 1590B but it would not have its standard mounting apparatus unless you know something that I don't?

Also you would not have to mess with AA batteries period. And you could have a standard AC adaptor as well.

Unless you think there is some special 'mojo' with AA batteries. I have heard that with carbon batteries there lies 'mojo' but not the AA's... until now.

:lol:

niftydog

QuoteA standard 9V will accomplish two things. It will last longer than one or two AA batteries and will fit in a standard 1590B enclosure.

I think you'll find that AA batterys have a higher millamp rating than 9Vs - especially the "Ultra" types by Duracell.

You can buy AA battery holders that could be glued or bolted to the inside of an enclosure.

The problem with simple voltage dividers is that they waste current just to produce the new voltage and the resulting voltage is dependent on the total current draw - so it has to be designed with the current draw of the circuit in mind. However, provided you do this it's still a viable way of doing it.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

gez

Quote from: tonemangez said:

then try a LM337....

Which was my recommendation in the thread I linked to.  :)

gez

The reason I ran the 1a from a 9V supply was so I could easily (yes, I know it can be done from low supplies with additional circuitry) hook up a LED indicator.