Smoother, more usable sweep from a TS clone tone pot?

Started by skiraly017, September 17, 2005, 07:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

I've built a TS clone form Build Your Own Clone. Very happy with the outcome, but the tone control is not a smooth as I would like it to be. When turning from BASS to Treble, there is a slow and not very noticeable change. Then from 90% to 100% there's a big jump in treble. Is there any way to smooth this out and make it more even? I'm using a 25k linear pot as called for by the instructions. Thanks for the help.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

skiraly017

Please forgive my ignorance. Still trying to learn. Thanks.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

cd

The linear taper pot is NOT what is in a stock TS, which is why the control is not smooth.  The TS uses a G taper pot, which is what Smallbear sells.  Use that pot and the tone control will work like it does in a real TS.

FYI you should really be getting help from the BYOC guys, that's what you paid your big bucks to them for.  If they're unavailable/unwilling to help, I'd think twice about buying from them again.

skiraly017

The kit was a gift and I trust you guys for the right answer.