1-in 3-out / a,b,c-box ???

Started by stumper1, September 17, 2005, 11:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper1

I'm looking to build a 1-in 3-out box to switch 1 amp between 3 guitars.  I would like it to have 3 switches and be able to switch from any input to any other with just the push of that switch.  I do not wan't to be able to have more than one input active at a time.  I would like to power from a 9v battery if possible - battery life is not too critical, but it needs to last at least one 2 hour gig.  3 LEDs for status would be ideal.

I am still VERY new at this.  I am not too sure if this is over my head or not but I would like to try.  I plan on "searching" here for info when the search function is up and running again.  

Any advice, comments, suggestions.....or even ridicule :?  is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Deric
DericĀ®

ninoman123

The way you want it would require some complex circuitry. There are easier ways but it wont be as simple as pushing one button and it changes to that input. There might be a circuit out there that can do this but I doubt it, and if there is it sounds like it might require a PIC program too. I can draw you up a box what will be able to switch between 3 inputs using two stompswitches. You could do it with 3 switches but it would require turning one off before turning the other on, and thats not what you want. Anything is possible of course. However, some solutions might be too complex and not even worth doing.

R.G.

What you're looking for is a simple version of one of my footswitch controllers.

You can do a "radio button" style footswitch controller for up to eight buttons with a CMOS chip, the 74C373 and some resistors/capacitors. See http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/fxswitchr/fxswitchr.htm , illustration 7 for how to do this. You can then use the outputs of the 373 to drive a switch circuit to do whatever you like. This can be a CD4053 triple SPDT analog switch (See http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/cd4053/cd4053.htm) or a relay (See the several articles at GEO on relay switching). If you use a relay, you'll have to use a transistor driver because the 373 can't drive a relay directly. Relays generally pull a lot of current, so they eat batteries if they're powered from batteries - unless you use latching relays and pulse them on and off. See the article on latching relay driving at GEO.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.