Need help with '69 Pedal build

Started by WildMountain, September 18, 2005, 07:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildMountain

I could use some help with this. I built this pedal, but it doesn't do anything. So: "What to do when it doesn't work":
-Build is: "Late '60's Boutique Fuzz Face" by General Guitar Gadgets. Can be found here: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?%20option=content&task=view&id=131&Itemid=184
-I built the negative ground, PNP-version, using a home-made PCB, made from the layout provided by GGG (this "home-made" PCB might be the problem, it's the first PCB I made myself, but it turned out OK I think).
-I used AC122 transistors, checked for the correct pinout.
-When the pedal is bypassed everything no problems, switching in there is a slight popping sound, then no sound at all.
-Voltage readings:
    Battery: 8.40 V
    Q1:
Collector: 7.82 V
          Base:       7.88 V
          Emittor:    7.97 V
    Q2:
Collector: 7.84 V
          Base:       7.82 V
          Emittor:    7.88 V
I know these readings are no where close to what they should be (compared to the readings provided in the instructions), but I don't know what causes this, or if this gives any clue as to what could be wrong.
Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Seljer

Have you tried getting using your multimeters continuity tester thing and just testing if all the traces are ok?

WildMountain

petemoore

I used to have the '470k > 470' equation, which only puts that at 1000 X difference.
 measure the 33k and all the resistors from circuit points.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

WildMountain

Although I had the 1k and 100k resistors mixed up (rather worrying, have to check my other builds for that, although they do work), fixing this didn't have any effect: still no sound. Didn't re-check the transistor readings (yet). D#mn it, I thought this would be it!
Keep coming up with good ideas, thanks guys!

Steben

Well time for new readings then ;-)
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

WildMountain

Q1
C: 8.11 V
B: 8.09 V
E: 8.19 V

Q2
C: 0.30 V
B: 8.12 V
E: 8.14 V

petemoore

I built the negative ground, PNP-version
 Other people have reported problems with this, I don't know that I've read a sure solution to other than conversion to PNP Pos Gnd., which has a much lower %age of nonworking units reported.

WildMountain

As a matter of fact, I started out with the positive ground version. I completed this, but it didn't work either. That's why I changed over to negative ground (as it is much more familiar to a newbie like me to use negative ground).
I'll start at the beginning and check EVERY component for being in the right place and having the right value (not that I haven't done this twice already).

Jaicen_solo

First thing you need to do is suspect your transistors.
If they're NOS, it's likely that they're leaky or something. I've had various AC128's that just refused to work in FF circuits. Now, I socket the transistors and use Si's like 2N3906 for testing. When i'm sure the board works, then I can go through and test my Ge trannies for a good pair, though lately i've been using a BC109/AC127 pair for better stability. I think its a combo that sounds great.

WildMountain

Great tip. No effect though. With 2N3906 trannies still no sound. Only sound I can elicit when engaged is a "crackle OK" sound from turning the bias-pot.

mojotron

I would check the resistance of the Q1 collector (measured from the component side - probe on the transistor lead - if possible) to the enclosure metal or the ring on the in/out jacks - this value should be 33k. I measure from a single point all the way to the final ground conection - which is the enclosure to ground or the ring o the jacks and this has helped me find issues where the circuit is fine but an off board wire issue was really the problem.

The other thing to look at is the measurement of Q2 collector to the enclosure resistance (should be less than 13k) - but I think this issue is really the Q1 collector - R2 - jack ring.

I would suspect a solder joint - so making the checks from the component (top side) and not the solder joint is the most valid way to do this. Just my thoughts - hope it helps.

WildMountain

Q1 collector -> Ground: 13k
Q2 collector -> Ground: 5k
This must be a really stupid thing, as problems where there is NO sound most often are. I just can't seem to find what the problem is. Getting a little crosseyed from staring at the PCB too long, but can't find anything that's wired different from the GGG website.

remmelt

Are you sure the PCB isn't mirrored? Did you put the right side up? There was this other thread about it and it's one of the mistakes I usualy make... Good luck!

petemoore

Quote from: Jaicen_soloFirst thing you need to do is suspect your transistors.
If they're NOS, it's likely that they're leaky or something. I've had various AC128's that just refused to work in FF circuits. Now, I socket the transistors and use Si's like 2N3906 for testing. When i'm sure the board works, then I can go through and test my Ge trannies for a good pair, though lately i've been using a BC109/AC127 pair for better stability. I think its a combo that sounds great.
...I'd been playing this FF alot, and went in to try a different input cap again [probably leaving in the .022uf] when I realized it's a hybrid Si/Ge FF I'm using so much.
 The Ge FF was lacked stamina for playing on, the attack and such just seemed to fade when it was used for a few minutes, the reverse diode trick seems to have stabilized that transistor.
 Sometimes warm skin is enough to find the 'drifter' and make enough corrections for him...other times no, I do like having Q2 bias pot on top of the box though sometimes.

WildMountain

Thanks for thinking along with me. I'm quite sure the PCB is OK, traces are all good, I used a tried layout from GGG, 100% sure it isn't mirrored. This would be something I could do wrong though :?
I did find some real mistakes with the board though, I believe more mistakes in this one populating and wiring job than in the last 7 builds combined, which is, again, quite unnerving. Correcting them didn't help. I'll try at a later time. Unfortunately my holidays are over, so less soldering time for me.