What does an effect sound like?

Started by Joe Hart, September 19, 2005, 03:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hart

Is there a listing somewhere of what effects sound like on certain (well-known) recordings? And I know that there are tons of other variables, but a listing for people to hear what an effect sounds like? I'm thinking along the lines of:

Tony Iommi on "Wicked World" - Range Master modded for a full boost
Yngwie Malmsteen - DOD250
The solo in Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" - Octavia
Randy Rhodes' distorted tone - MXR Distortion +

You know, just a simple list like this so people can hear the "classic" sounds of certain effects.

If there isn't, should we make a list? Ideas?
-Joe Hart

Mark Hammer

That's an excellent idea.  Often, there are sound samples of effects available, but these are frequently solo instruments and often don't provide much of a reference for identifying an effect when used in a group context.  Having a FRS (Frequently Referred-to Samples) document with a listing of classic (and hopefully available) tracks that showcase or benchmark a specific effect would be a useful thing.  

Of course, as the range of DIY projects here increases over time, and conceivably surpasses some commercial products, such benchmarks become of less interest to folks.  Still, I don't expect everyone to know what a Jen HF Modulator or a Schaller Yoy-Yoy or a Dr. Q sounds like, orhow a Bad Stone might sound different than a Small Stone, and if reference recordings help to identify that, so much the better.

Paul Marossy

That's one thing I like about that Dave Hunter book, it has a bunch of different effects on CD that you can compare. The one on choruses and flangers was especially useful. It would be cool if there was a more extensive online version of that.

Marcos - Munky

WildMountain

I believe there was a thread like this on Analogman's forum quite a while ago with examples of classic guitar effects.
Great fun. Go for it.
Edit: There weren't any soundsamples in it, but it mainly named classic songs/tracks where a particular effect was used. That's a little harder for effects like a Blue Magic, Sparkle Boost or BSIAB (which will be classics in the near future of course).

Paul Marossy

The thing that makes it hard is that if one guy records a sound clip, it's going to sound a lot different from another guy's sound clip - different guitar, dynamics, equipment, etc.

That's another thing that is neat about that CD, the tracks in each category all sound exactly the same just with a different effect in the signal path. I almost think that they were pre-recorded pieces with the same signal going thru the different effects in each category - or - that guitar player is extremely consistent.

Fret Wire

Not broken down by songs, but this site lists about 100 rigs and fx. Not 100% accurate in all cases, but many artists will be vague in interviews about certain signature sounds.
http://guitargeek.com/index.php
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

jmusser

I believe I've mentioned this 2 or 3 times on other threads. it would be great to have something like this for a reference. Even though tones are horribly subjective, I thought it would be nice to include a definition, like "wooly" or "bite" to the sample, so that we could all be on the same page with our descriptions.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Steben

Well let's dig in the discussion then:

"Voodoo Chile" - hendrix:
Maple neck Stratocaster - Dunlop CryBaby - RM Axis Fuzz - Marshall 1959  Plexi head.

Or better:

"Spoonful" - Clapton:
LP standard - Marshall JTM45 Plexi head
:lol:
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Ed G.

MXR Phase 90: "Atomic Punk" by Van Halen
MXR Flanger: "Unchained" intro by Van Halen
MXR Dyna Comp "Under the Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Arno van der Heijden

EH Electric Mistress:

"Omega man"
"Walking on the moon"
"De do do da"
"Driven to tears"
(+ LOTS of other songs) - The Police

bwanasonic

I have posted the idea for an online database of recorded examples of effects a number of times, but I have yet to get off my butt and do anything with it. I'd like it be useful as both a "what does a flanger sound like?" type resource, as well as "what phase-shifter is that on ___________?*"

If somebody else is up for the grunt work (setting up the database, HTML drudgery, etc.), I'd be happy to do a bunch of research.

Kerry M

*"A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" from "Live 1975 - The Rolling Thunder Revue"

remmelt

Sir H C

I have been contacted by Analog Tom (from the vintage effects book) to put together some samples of some of the weird old effects I have.  I have been trying to think of what would be a good way to show an effect in a short sample.  It is cool to point to classic tracks for an effect but since there is so much other processing going on it is hard to say that the particular effect is doing that sound.

So, I was thinking, one chord (G or E I was thinking), short riff of single notes, and strummed chords.

Joe Hart

Cool. There's some interest. I'll gladly do the "grunt work" for this. So, start posting ideas. I won't have sound clips (you know copyrights and such), but I'm pretty sure that someone will be able to track down the songs on their own.

And I know that the effects will all sound different because of all of the variables, but if we could do the "classic" tones that everyone seems to go back to I think that would help people out.

Also, feel free to give a couple of adjectives (like "wolly" or whatnot) so that people can really tune into the sound of the effect.

I'll start tossing this all onto a webpage!
-Joe Hart

Dave_B

Quote from: Ed G.MXR Flanger: "Unchained" intro by Van Halen
Did you mean Mean Streets?  Awkward sentence, sorry.   :wink:
Help build our Wiki!

bwanasonic

Quote from: Sir H C on September 20, 2005, 11:40:02 AM
So, I was thinking, one chord (G or E I was thinking), short riff of single notes, and strummed chords.

I thought the idea was to have a database of effect examples on known recordings, not a collection of sound-clips. I believe www.tonefrenzy.com already has the soundclip thing covered. The problem with the *effects on recordings* idea, is finding reliable and verifiable info. It's safe to say that Jimi used an Octavia on "Who Knows", but when you get into what Tonebender, if any, is used on Disraeli Gears... I guess what I have in mind is more of historical interest rather than a "I'd like to build a Tubescreamer, what do those sound like..." function. This also points out another problem with the recordings database. Sure SRV used a TS- on maybe one of the 9 amps he was recording that you hear in the mix! :D Do you put that under *this is what a Tubescreamer sounds like* ?

Kerry M