removing a solder bridge???

Started by powerplayj, September 19, 2005, 10:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

I can't get all the solder up with a braid.  Is there anything else I could try besides a razor to remove a solder bridge?  ...maybe a folded sand paper edge???
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

SonicVI

if you're using the braid correctly you should be able to get every bit of solder sucked up

mjarus

I have found a desoldering pump works great.  Some people hate them.  I got one for about 8.00 @ Rat Shack.  Dissected an old tape player pretty quick.  You just heat up the solder and place the pump over it and release the pump.  It will suck the solder right up.  Sometimes it takes two tries to get all of the solder.  I have never had good luck with the braids either...

mjarus.

Peter Snowberg

Make sure you have plenty of flux on the braid. The braid should be able to remove most of it.

I gave up on braid until I discovered flux paste in a tube. :)

Fine braid is amagingly effective.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

KORGULL

Sometimes you can just pass the hot iron through it and drag the solder off to the side(s).

formerMember1

I could never get solder braid to work, until i bought some fine stuff from mouser.  I now use the bulb sucker for big stuff like backs of pots and jacks, and the braid for components.  I can't do with out braid now.  (it is easier to use the braid if you reheat/solder a joint with fresh solder, and have your tip well tinned with solder.  Also don't heat the joint and push the copper braid to it.  Heat the joint and the braid simultanouesly. (spelling  :roll: )  I was shocked when i saw all that solder suck right up into the braid so fast and left my component literally ready to fall out.  :lol:

Make sure you store your copper braid in a ziplock air tight as possible bag to stop oxidation, which ruins it.  I learned this from Paul Marossy, becuase i tried to use radio shack braid forever, and never knew it was oxidised and that was why it didn't work good.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The (unxpected) key to desoldering, is to put more solder on first.
Plus, some desoldering braid seems to "go bad", I guess it tarnishes. I never buy surplus electrolytic caps & I never buy surplus braid.

gez

Quote from: mjarusI have found a desoldering pump works great.  

I love them...especially since I always end up burning my fingers with braid!  :oops:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

SaBer

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)The (unxpected) key to desoldering, is to put more solder on first.

I believe the point of that is to add more flux.
The better way, I think, would be to add flux  :shock:

But I think I'm not the only one, whose too lazy to order a bottle/pen/whatever of flux, since I got all this solder sitting around...  :roll:
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

petemoore

Cornrows.
 Since I don't have braid, I use the clean iron tip to remove larger globs of solder, then I clean the tip and repeat, then repeat, this gets most of the stuff off there for me...depends on how 'grabby' your tip is I guess, if it's a plated tip this may not work.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: SaBer
Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)The (unxpected) key to desoldering, is to put more solder on first.
I believe the point of that is to add more flux. The better way, I think, would be to add flux  :shock:

True enough... though, adding a blob of solder, makes sure everything is hot enough to flow. It's when i have had a partly unsuccessful first go at removing solder, that I often find the need to add a blob & start over. Especially if there is solder stuck away in an inaccesible corner under a component or whatever.

Paul Marossy

I've never had a problem with using the RS desoldering braid - works great for me.

vanhansen

Quote from: Paul MarossyI've never had a problem with using the RS desoldering braid - works great for me.

Same here.  After a year I've just reached the end of my first roll.  Good thing I bought another one not too long ago.
Erik

Paul Marossy

That stuff is my best friend!  :lol:

Paul Marossy

That stuff is my best friend!  :lol: