Vibrato position on neo/univibe...?

Started by Steben, September 20, 2005, 05:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

... and on phasers in general. I thought I knew how phasers sound, yet what is the difference between mix sound and pure shifted sound?
Pure shifted is theremin sound? Mixed more "airplane" sound?

References?
Hendrix "Angel"? mixed or pure? what about the opposite then?
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

R.G.

Pure shifted sound is truly vibrato, in the accurate sense of the word. The sound is frequency shifted up and down a little bit, like wiggling a whammy bar on the guitar.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Khas Evets

I'm looking into building a Vibrato pedal and am between a BBD pedal (like the Boss VB-2) or a modded phaser (like Moosapotamus' modded Small Stone or DOD Vibrothang). To my ears the pure shifted sound of a phaser combines pitch vibrato, mild tremolo and eq.

If anyone has experimented with this [Mark Hammer], it would be helpful to get a sense of what a modded phaser is actually doing and how it sounds.

SteveB

It's more like the lead in "Dolly Dagger" @ 1:39 into the song. Sort of subtle, not as spacious as "Angel", which is a real rotating speaker cab. At slower settings, it's more of a detuning wobble, that sounds pretty cool when you have some delay mixed in. This makes the wobble pulses cross a bit, giving a similar sound to the chorus position, but not as "phase shifter" sounding.

Steve