getting ready to order an air brush. have some questions.

Started by Brian Marshall, October 22, 2004, 09:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Marshall

I'm going to take the pluge in to airbrushing even though others have told me that it may not be what i expect.

But i notice that most of the paints that are available specifically for airbrushing are usually for fabrics, or paper.  I did find some auto paints, but most of them were either tranparent, or semi tranparent... I'm not so sure those would work very well....  can i just buy krylon paint, and thin it.  Also, is krylon enamel or laquer... i was always under the impression that it was a laquer, but i notice that it doesnt say on the can... is it something else?

toneman

Hey Brian,
If it doesn't say (what chemistry) on the can,
it's a good bet it's enamel.
Enamel has a long drying time.
That is, long time til it's completely "cured" thru&thru.
Remember:
enamel over laquer-OK ;  
laquer over enamel-cottage cheese
[ but U may *want* that effect  ]
U *can* buy automotive laquer in spray cans,
but the colors are limited(black, white, grey, clear)
Sometimes U can have a custom laqer color  mixed and put in a spray can. Check with a professional automotive paint supplier 4 this.
U *can* use model paints with airbrushes, as that's
mainly the area they were designed for.  Go to a hobby store and read the
labels on various brands of modeling paints.
Again, all enamels have a long drying time, and U can't
rub them out(get rid of orange peal) like U can with laquers.
Don't ever use 2-part urathane enamels in your air brush.
Laquers are not sold in pints or larger here in Calif.---(EPA ruling)
But, U still can buy spray cans & geting laquer thinner is a easy as
going to HomeDepot.   Go figure.
Model  "acrilyics" are for resin type models, but can be used
on styrene.  U R painting metal stompboxes, so that shouldn't B
a problem.  Don't B afraid to experiment.  After U paint, and
let it dry for a while, strip it off with laquer thinner.
Notice how easy or hard it is.  This is indication of how well
the paint sticks and/or how(fast) it dries.  
AirBrushing is a lot of extra effort for a stompbox, but, If U R
artistic, it opens lots of possibilities that spraycans don't.
stayprimed--[a good paint job always needs a good base coat.]
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

thumposaurus

Alot of scale model builders will use nail polish as a paint, I'm not sure to what degree you'd have to thin it out, but I've seen some amazing finishes done with it.
Krylon is an enamel, you may want to try and find some paints called "one shot" they are used for pinstriping cars, and painting signs but can be thinned and airbrushed too.
hope it helps
Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

guitarhacknoise

hello brian, ( when I started this post there were no answers, man do I type slow!)
not sure what you expect out of the airbrush, but it is an awesome tool!
it has been years so forgive me if I botch the terminology!
the whole set up can be very expensive.
 what do you want to do with it? paint  solid colors? or shading ? design?
so there is single action and double action "brushes" single is good for more coverage although you can get excellent detail out of 'em. the double action takes much more practice but can do very fine detail.
Basically anything that you can thin down to the consistancy of milk will work in an airbrush.
just make sure of two things, you use the right thinner for the type of paint and keep the instrument CLEAN!
never leave it alone for a minute, the paint can dry up inside and just ruin your afternoon!
krylon in the can works good but the best IMHO is "one shot" sign paint. It  just lays on nice and opaque so you have less coats to do, you can get it at an art supply store or a hot rod paint shop, its same stuff that is used to pinstripe custom cars and stuff of that nature.
and don't mess with those cans of compressed air, they are just a waste of money.
well, that is untill you are as good as Von Dutch or Ed Roth, but thats for another forum....
I'm sorry but I can't remember off the top of my head if krylon is laquer or not, if you mix the wrong paint with the wrong thinner you will be able to tell with in 5 min., it will separate like a lava lamp or italian dressing.
-matthias
"It'll never work."