Sick of Big Muffs... what else for some fat high gain?

Started by nirvanas silence, November 01, 2004, 10:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LivingDeadPunk

Tim Escobedo's "punch in the face" and Torchy's "joy buzzer" if you want a high gain fuzzy sound.
A parralel universe if you want a sick, twisted, weird sound. :twisted:
A Rat for a metal sound.
Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.

Albert Einstein

MartyMart

"Blackfire"   !!!
http://aronnelson.com/userfiles/
sound sample here and vero layout in my gallery.
Wicked sounding "Metal" distortion !!
:twisted:

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

tcobretti

I have to second nightingale and say a tonbender mkII.  Like the Big Muff and FF, it's a classic old school fuzz.  It has its own sound that I really like.  Use the values (or a PCB) from GGG and use low gain trannies.

petemoore

Quote from: tcobrettiI have to second nightingale and say a tonbender mkII.  Like the Big Muff and FF, it's a classic old school fuzz.  It has its own sound that I really like.  Use the values (or a PCB) from GGG and use low gain trannies.
>>Super heavy distorters tend to stay 'near the ceiling'...cleanup is generally less than satisfying [they either don't clean up [at guit vol] or get grainey or dull], The Tonebender being one of few that does let you make good use of the Guitar Volume used also as Gain Control, and can be tuned for wonderfully dynamic tones [diversity in dynamics/gain/clipping/harmonics/tone as louder/softer/higher/lower notes are allowed to sustain or hammered upon]...responds to various input in diverse, yet somewhat predictable, definitely usable ways. Besides that, the TB Fuzz is Heavenly Hellish.
 Still it doesn't clean up as well as a FF, so I sometimes opt for the third stage being on a bypass...[FF with booster in front]....
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

an EQ with alot of push like GE7, or if you can find a lower noise alternative.
 Noisy as it was boosting my noisy Factory Fuzzes, one useful pedal, I could voice pedals N/P with filters [HP/LP/Notch...] but having those sliders take on the 7 band take your basic Fuzz to Metal Ultra or MidHonk...it's too easy, and worth the stomp to remove the noise when idle, it used to mostly be on, or on with Fuzz During Heavy Lead only...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ESPguitar

Quote from: cd
Quote from: John EgertonDoes anyone know of a pedal that gets to the highest gain/distortion in existence?

I'm looking for that really cool 'strum a hugegley distorted cord and it goes on forever' sort of sound....

Soundclips would be cool.

Thanks

John

Two BOSS Metal Zones in series.  Or even one.

Raw Brutality :lol:

Ed G.

There was a DOD pedal called "grunge" a while back, inspired by the grunge sound of the 90's, but it had LOTS of gain, more than I'd heard in any 'grunge' band recording. I actually preferred its sound to the MT-2. It was heavy, but it was much smoother than the MT-2. I think it had more sustain as well.