I don't like my SD-9 clone

Started by nirvanas silence, November 04, 2004, 05:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nirvanas silence

I just built a sonic distortion from the ggg site and it sounds too compressed and very muffled.  When I turn up the tone, the mids sound muffled and the highs are raspy.  Are there any common mods I should know of before I start tweaking.  I'm definitely getting new diodes, thats way to compressed.  Thanks!
~Josh

RDV

You could try doubling up the diodes(2 + 2) and experiment with the BMP style tone control on Duncan's toestack calculator.

RDV

nirvanas silence

Good call.  I'm quite familiar with the BM tone knob so i guess I'll add that.  I wonder what the deal is...

PS Lowering the input cap made it a million times better.

nirvanas silence

Wow, I did just commonsense mods and it worked great.  Lowering the 473 input cap and cap off of the emitter of Q1 made a huge difference in terms of chords and intermodulation.  Dropping the 47uF caps to 1uF made the low gain much better and the bass is not so boomy.  I decreased the 470 ohm resistor to 330 for more gain, I may go lower but don't want self oscillation.  I also removed the 2K2 in the treble side of the tone knob and increased the 6K8 to 22K.  Both gave a much better sweep.  This pedal kills now!  I'm working on the diodes too, 1N4148 just compress way too much.

Phorhas

For the clopping doides try Aron's Ge+MOSFET thing a-la-shaka III. you could also try putting a FET gain stage to handle the gain loss. try it with a 5k6 source resistor with no source bypass cap. it'll restore gain as well as as subtle sweet harmonics
Electron Pusher

Phorhas

"clopping diodes"... wow... I need sleep
Electron Pusher

otokomae

Quote from: nirvanas silenceWow, I did just commonsense mods and it worked great.  Lowering the 473 input cap and cap off of the emitter of Q1 made a huge difference in terms of chords and intermodulation.  

Hi, I'm modding this same pedal right now and I was just wondering, what values did you lower these 2 Caps to?  The Caps you'retalking about are C2 and C4, right?  What kind of effect did it have?  I'm mostly trying to smooth out the sound.  Thanks!!!

WGTP

Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

otokomae

I've already got LED's in therest looking for something else now.  Thanks though!