Tested 30 CV7112 for gain and leakage All useable!! What to build???

Started by nelson, September 24, 2005, 05:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

TheBigMan sold me 30 of these germs, finally got round to testing them today.

I have gains ranging from 50-180......Most of them range in gain from 70-110.

Looking for suggestions on what I can build with them...havent really messed with germs before.

First three on my list are the fuzz face, rangemaster and the orange treble and bass booster. I am thinking maybe there are some circuits I havent heard of yet that are worth building and use NPN germs or can be converted to negative ground using these NPN germs....

Cmon fuzz junkies, suggest me a circuit.

:P
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

Forgot to add that I will need links to schematics.....

I have had my fill of modulation......I want to build some simple stuff............
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

TheBigMan

ALL 30 are usable?  Bloody hell, wasn't expecting that.

Erm, apart from the circuits you mentioned I was looking at a couple of Joe Gagan's silicon/germanium hybrid designs.  IIRC all of the schems are hosted at Mark Hammer's page.

nelson

Yeah, neither was I.

really good gain ranges too.

Will check out the hybrids.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

petemoore

You can make that FF bias different transistors trimpotting instead of Q2C Resistor.
  I like a Ge or two in an Axis Fuzz or Tycho Octave or Green Ringer, like the others it's trial and error finding gain and stability.
  Build yourself a 2 knob ToneBender MkII Professional...trimpot Q3 [same as FF Q2].
  Be sure to watch the pinouts etc. Switching them around...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

nelson

Yep, got a variant of the axis face all populated, used a 30K trimmer for q2R.

Been looking at some univox fuzz schems, going to draw PCB's up for them too.

I have 6 of these that are 50-60hfe. that rangepig looks promising....
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

finished the Axis fuzz, I didnt utilise the smooth pot, decided would rather use guitar knob.

From the low volume I managed to audition the circuit at it sounds great! Really smooth creamy leads, nice sustain....
Cant believe I didnt build a FF variant  before now.....

Q1 75            Q2 130 biased 4.65v

Cant wait to play it at proper volumes tommorow and listen to it pushing my amp.

Def worth boxing up!

;D ;D ;D
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

MartyMart

I have a "ton" of 'em, they are fantastic trannies ..... so :
RangeBlaster
Univox Superfuzz
Coloursound OD
Tim's Tripple Fuzz
Octavia .......
Just about any Fuzz/OD that you can "NPN - asize" and they will sound great !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Mark Hammer

Quote from: TheBigMan on September 24, 2005, 07:16:26 PMI was looking at a couple of Joe Gagan's silicon/germanium hybrid designs.  IIRC all of the schems are hosted at Mark Hammer's page.

News to me.  I have a bunch of Maestro schems which use Ge trannies, but that's it.  I do have most of Joe's stuff backed up tough.

nelson

I did have a look through your site mark, no hybrid designs. Got the maestro schems. The Octave box looks worth a build, uses si NPN though.

I am going to build all the above mentioned pedals Marty.

I am going on a germ orgy  ;D

The Axis Fuzz sounds great......

GERM ORGY!
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

TheBigMan

Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 26, 2005, 04:15:57 PM
Quote from: TheBigMan on September 24, 2005, 07:16:26 PMI was looking at a couple of Joe Gagan's silicon/germanium hybrid designs.  IIRC all of the schems are hosted at Mark Hammer's page.

News to me.  I have a bunch of Maestro schems which use Ge trannies, but that's it.  I do have most of Joe's stuff backed up tough.

Where did I get those schems from then?  For some reason I was sure it was your site Mark, but you'll know better than me!

TheBigMan

http://sounds.ampage.org/ is the site.  I can only assume I got mixed up cos it's an ampage site.  Sorry Mark.  :-[ :-*