Attn: new stompbox builders...warning!

Started by wampcat1, September 24, 2005, 06:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wampcat1

First, I apologize, Aron, if this is in the wrong place - I just wanted to warn anyone who may get an email like this in the future.

I received a fake email trying to scam me out of a free pedal:

-----------------------------
Esteemed Mr.Owner,      Sept.23.2005

My name is Vinicius Vigna, i'm pro guitarist  and i'm living in Brazil by now.
I'm writing to you because i'm in a big problem and i would like to receive your urgent support and help please. I trust you so much and i hope you do it.
Well aproximately (02) Two Weeks ago my friend named Aharumi Shioda whos lives in Osaka, Japan bought to me as a gift the amazing IndyGuitarist Blue Fuzz Pedal ,Brand-New, in her IN's trip. Since the Pedal came as a Gift to me i have no idea exactly where (Music Store)she purchased the Blue Fuzz or How Much Money she paid for.

My Big Problem:
I have no idea what happened but suddenly my Blue Fuzz stopped in the middle of a performance. Immediately i've tested the 9v.Power Supply w/ a pro meter and it's OK. Then the defect is in the Pedal.  There's no sound/signal. I'm very worried and sad about...

Since here there's not Resellers / Dealers yours my only choice was to send back my damaged Blue Fuzz to you.

I did it TODAY, Sept.23.2005.
I've sent my Blue Fuzz, untoucheable by Common Mail to the following address : 

INDYGUITARIST.COM
65 DUNN CT.
TRAFALGAR, I N  46181
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Before this i've researched some delivery services companies around here but they all are impossibles. The Taxes are very expensives. Since i'm a "Broken" Musician no way !
The only way really was by common mail.

**Problems ahead :

The PostMaster explained to me than my package will takes SEVERAL MONTHS to arrives in US due to the Brazilian Customs exigences and Laws mainly about Electronics. I really don't understood nothing but the fact is i really can't wait SEVERAL MONTHS for my BLUE FUZZ Back. I need it urgently back please to can Work.

Could you help me ASAP please ?
Could you send me an advanced replacement while my defective Pedal is on the way ?

I hope you really can do it for me please.

**According to the Mail Staff (people) i should to ask you two (03) very important things :

a- Please send the replacement by Trackable common Mail (USPS),
b- Please mark on the Customs Labels and Documents any value under $ 30 bucks to avoid Government Confiscation.  Never declares the word "Free GIFT" or just only ZERO VALUE Please.
c- Another other Very Important thing would be you mark as the SENDER your Own Name and NOT your Company Name please. Tks.

Well my Home Address is :

VINICIUS "VINNIE" VIGNA
RUA PADRE ANCHIETA, 181 APTO. 115
EDIFÍCIO MARABÁ
SÃO VICENTE - SÃO PAULO
CEP 11.310.040 (CENTRO)
B R A Z I L

My phone is (13) 97781176.
If you call me please be pacient 'cause my English is a Disaster.

Please contact me asap because i'm very worried and really upseted with this problem.
Thank you so much.I hope the  WARRANTY really works...

Best regards,

Thank you very much.

Vinnie
------------------------

Funny thing -- I have the only two pedals in existance, this guy is not in my database of previous customers, and this fellow has tried doing this to other builders that are friends of mine. Just a warning to some of the newer builders on here that may have never heard of this scam before.

Take care,
Brian

powerplayj

Tell him you sent him a replacement and it should be there in 6-7 months depending on Brazilian customs.

;)
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

mojotron

aron

I heard of this scam before. It might be in the archives.

nelson

Not a very smart scammer.......didnt even do his research........ ::)

could get him done for fraud.......
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Bob N

Hmmmm, I wonder if he has a Nigerian uncle....

Yun

"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

bwanasonic

Somewhere in the archives is a hilarious parody of one of these scam letters. I've tried looking for it with no luck, but maybe the improved search will yield results.

Kerry M

Found it!:

Quote from: Torchy on July 28, 2004, 12:11:25 PM
Dear Mr Analoogman ,
   I am extreme poor live here in Uk of Engerland with football soccer. Cold, and how much is it living cost here phew. I am lonely to ask you for free t-shirt and I advertise for you on tube trainings every day. Yet better free "King of Tone" pedal so I can advertise you better in beat combo with night clubs every week. I also not creditable card, so shippy free as well. Innit.

wampcat1

Quote from: bwanasonic on September 25, 2005, 02:05:25 PM
Somewhere in the archives is a hilarious parody of one of these scam letters. I've tried looking for it with no luck, but maybe the improved search will yield results.

Kerry M

Found it!:

Quote from: Torchy on July 28, 2004, 12:11:25 PM
Dear Mr Analoogman ,
   I am extreme poor live here in Uk of Engerland with football soccer. Cold, and how much is it living cost here phew. I am lonely to ask you for free t-shirt and I advertise for you on tube trainings every day. Yet better free "King of Tone" pedal so I can advertise you better in beat combo with night clubs every week. I also not creditable card, so shippy free as well. Innit.

Yep...that's even BETTER than mine!! heheh! I had heard of that happening to some of the more known builders, but since I just received one it was on my mind and I didn't want any of the newer up and coming (or future) builders to fall for this.

Take care,
Brian

The Tone God

This guy(s) has fished around just about every pedal builder with the same basic story/letter/scam. Harmony Central had a thread on this guy with several pedal builders chipping in.

You could send him an empty box and put a huge dollar value on it so he has to pay a massive duty charge only to get nothing. That'll learn'em.

Andrew

ninoman123

Quote from: The Tone God on September 25, 2005, 05:12:44 PM
You could send him an empty box and put a huge dollar value on it so he has to pay a massive duty charge only to get nothing. That'll learn'em.

Ill give you a dollar if you do it. That would be hilarious

Marcos - Munky

Also, put something heavy in side the box. A brick is a good choice.

casey

dont we have some diy brothers in brazil that could call this guy... :-*
Casey Campbell