those .22µf 's in the TS

Started by Pierre, September 29, 2005, 02:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pierre

hi !!!
i wonder if those .22µf Tantalum caps in the TS "must" be Tantalum...can i change them for Wima caps?
can they make a difference? tone? noise?
THANK's !!!!

cd

You can use whatever type you like.  They don't have to be tantalum.  Films are supposed to sound "better", whatever that means.

As always, use "Technology of the Tubescreamer" at www.geofex.com to guide you.

johngreene

They most certainly don't have to be tant's. Films are a better capacitor as far as capacitors go but I'm convinced that part of the character of an original TS808 comes from the tantalum caps used.

--john
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.

bwanasonic

From my experiments with swapping them in my vintage TS - they have to be tantalum if you want it to sound like a Tube Screamer. I didn't find the audiophile logic to work at all in this case ( i.e. metal film *sounds better* than tants). I found the pedal to lose a lot of it's character, and to sound rather generic. The circuit will *work* with any type caps, but do yourself a favor and be sure to try the original spec parts at some point. It seems people who don't like the basic character of the TS are the ones that look at swapping out the tants as an *upgrade*.

Kerry M

Pierre

well, i think im going to try both, with Tantalum's and with Wima caps...i have made 2 pcb's (from Tonepad)...anyway, im far from be a tone purist, i just want a good soundig TS clone (dont laugh but i have never had the chance to try a "real TS :icon_redface:)

Just one more...there's a missing 100µf cap in the Tonepad loyaut...does anyone knows why?