Do i really need an Etchpen? wont a marker do the job?

Started by samzeppelin, September 30, 2005, 01:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samzeppelin

does it not work with a marker?
i looked on a etch pen (man they are not cheap(not were i live) and it loked like a marker only it had a bigger tip, thats negative i guess

/sam
page rules

cd

If you want to lay down etch RESIST, a Sharpie or other thick marker will do fine.

samzeppelin

Quote from: cd on September 30, 2005, 01:10:06 PM
If you want to lay down etch RESIST, a Sharpie or other thick marker will do fine.
um can you explain more? I am not so good at your laguage :icon_redface: :icon_biggrin:
if i write with a marker on a card and then etch it the copper will still be there under the paint/ink?
page rules

bioroids

As long as the paint is there, the copper is behind it. Most permanent markers work, some seem to work better than others.

Where are you from, by the way?

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

samzeppelin

page rules

acryl

i had good results with a marker for cd/dvd.
just make sure you use a black marker, colored ink doesn't hold well
clean the surface first with fine sandpaper (say 600 grit) or steelwool

KORGULL

I've heard that regular ("Sharpie" brand specifically) permanent markers actually work better than alot of high priced "etch resist" markers.
If you happen to be etching with Ammonium Persulphate, it could eat through any of these kinds of markers - try a paint pen for Ammonium Persulphate etching.

Mark Hammer

Staedtler Lumocolor work VERY well.  Make sure it says "permanent".

Connoisseur of Distortion

i use toner transfers. for touch-ups, i use white-out. that stuff makes a nice, heavy layer