Audio Probe? Show me one..... Where can i get one?

Started by Garrett, September 30, 2005, 03:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett

I here tale of an audio probe.  What is it and Where can i get?

I owe you one, Garrett  :icon_biggrin:

cd

Peter Snowberg

Welcome to the forum. :D

An audio probe is simply a tool for connecting your amp to various points in the circuit other than the output jack. The one special addition is a DC blocking cap. You can use any cap that's large enough to let signals through, but a value of 0.1uF works VERY well. Just be sure the volatage rating of the cap is higher than the voltages used in the device you're debugging. For effects, a 35V or 50V cap is plenty, but for tube work a 600V cap is more like it.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

petemoore

I use the 'bakassward' technique, starting from output, connecting my thumb in ever increasingly 'toward input' points, listening for the familiar buzz your thumb makes as a signal source [like a tone generator but sounds like 'thumb']...the 'Thumbuzz' technique is quite useful and easier for me to find [any little screwdriver to that can touch in circuit point [only where you want to test] and connected to my thumb...
  DO NOT use this debugging technique on other than low voltage circuits !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

phaeton

Dewd....

Is your thumb singlecoil, doublecoil, active or passive?  How well can you play it?*

(the only reason I'm bugging you is because I do the same thing.  I'm all too familiar with buzz that is 'thummy') :D
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

MetalGod

other than debugging to see where the signal stops (if you're getting no sound) the audio probe is cool for tapping off various parts of the circuit - it's interesting to see how a pedal sounds at different parts of the circuit (to me anyway)

:icon_twisted:

Garrett

Thanks wizards,

i will indulge ,

awesome, Garrett

D Wagner

Garrett,

This is a little more complicated to build, but it is an awesome tool.  The PCB artwork and construction information is about 2/3 of the way down the page.

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/Projects/MiniBenchAmp/MiniBenchAmp.html

Derek