Revised Electro Harmonix Clone Theory layout.

Started by nelson, October 03, 2005, 10:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

I took the time over the past couple of days to redo my Clone Theory layout.

It incorporates the MAX1044 charge pump. Can be powered from batt.

Layout is ALOT smaller and only involves 1 jumper.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.nelson666/Clone%20Theory%20new.pdf

Layout is unverified.

Any mistakes, suggestions etc?

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

StephenGiles

I know the feeling! Looks very good indeed. Out of interest what do you use to draw your circuit diagrams?
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Steve Newton

Wow, compact layout!

Is there an error in the schem? The ground tag for the input comes from the wrong side of R1 on there (correct on the layout though.)
Steve.
Not my circus, not my monkey.

nelson

The original Pedal had a Direct out. Its not a ground symbol on the schem, its the direct out. You will see the extra pad next to the input pad for this.

Is that what you mean?

Thanks for your compliments :)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Steve Newton

Quote from: nelson on October 03, 2005, 05:04:34 PM
The original Pedal had a Direct out. Its not a ground symbol on the schem, its the direct out. You will see the extra pad next to the input pad for this.

Is that what you mean?

Thanks for your compliments :)

Yeah I can see now. There's a GND pad by the IN pad on the board and I thought it was the arrow comming off the top of R1 on the schem. But the direct out makes sense. ;)
Steve.
Not my circus, not my monkey.

nelson

Just going for mods, one more knob can be added if you replace R37 with a pot wired as a variable resistor,  a Pitch shift knob. A 100ohm resistor connected to an LED coming off Pin one of 1458 in LFO for blinking LED.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

audioguy

Does this one make much noise? All the reviews of the original say it was noisy, but that the noise wasnt so bad you couldnt use it.
I just finished a Small Clone, which I freakin love... now I would like to keep expanding my tonal horizons with this baby.

nelson

There have been reports of the MAX1044 causing heterodyne whining. However I am just about to release an updated layout that corrects one error and also has a layout for using either a 15v a 18v PSU or two batteries in series. This will solve the noise issue with the 1044.

The reports of noise with teh original unit were all refering to the earlier SAD1024A version I believe the version with the "edge" switch.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

audioguy

I would prefer to make it with the MAX1044- I dont want to mess with multiple batteries and different power supplies and all... so I'll build the current version.
Is the heterodyne whining happening on evry unit built, or just a handfull here and there?

nelson

It will be inherent in the pedals using the MAX1044. I do recommend using two batteries in series and or an 18v PSU.

However, build it and see.

Many EH pedals used two batteries in series.

Plus with the size of the layout getting them in a 1590BB shouldnt be a problem.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

audioguy

OK Cool... I'll give the 2 batts a shot when you have the revised layout ready.

Thanks!

goosonique

Nice one Nelson  :icon_wink:
What does this effect do ?? :icon_redface:
<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

Plexi

To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

pinkjimiphoton

plexi, talk to scruffie. he has a great project for this pedal.

you are better to use one 18-0-18v external transformer and feed that to the 15v regulator. less noise and more stable. i had a spare i sent to scruff, it may just be 18v. memory is dodgy ;)

the noise is a factor in all of them, but the 1024 is the hissiest. if ya build this with metal films you can knock back quite a bit of the noise.

the "stereo" output is simply a jack wired directly to  the input jack in parallel. before the switch. literally. but it works great like that.

it wasn't meant to be a "stereo" chorus, it was meant to have a dry out and a chorused out.

i LOVE these things, the only kind of chorus i'll use. usually on a flangey vibe setting ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr