Phase 90 Block Logo to Script mods

Started by aron, October 04, 2005, 05:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

From Nero1985:

Hi!

Here you find out how to turn your Phase 90 that you just got a Guitar Center into the Script Phase 90 wich is not just a R28 mod or the C11 and C12 mods, it goes beyond that.
There are 8 components on the new P90s that werent on the Script logo used by Eddie Van Halen and many others, here you can see what components have to be removed and wich ones replaced.
Im also including a picture of its board with the component numbers so that u dont have to look for them all night long just to remove it or replace it!
The Script Mod was tested by me and worked amazing, you'll get a very nice phase that might not be great as a pre distortion pedal but if u run it on ur Fx loop of after a Tube Screamer (like i do) you'll a crazy Phase!
The OTHER MODS havent been tested but they should work fine.

It took me a hours to realize the structure of the new P90 so i hope it helps you....

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/albums/Schematics-etc/MXR_Phase_90_to_Script.gif
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/albums/Schematics-etc/MXR_Phase_90_board.sized.gif
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/albums/Schematics-etc/MXR_Phase_90_Script.gif
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/albums/Schematics-etc/MXR_Phase_90.gif
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/albums/Schematics-etc/phase_90_board.sized.jpg

Strat Cat

Would it be possible to change the color of the part numbers? I'm partially color blind and I can't make out most of them.

Thanks!

vanhansen

Wow, awesome, Nero.  Would it be possible to clean up the PCB with the part numbers and make them yellow?  If you want, download the pic again from my site.  It's a clear .jpg, and that's what you want to save it as.  .gif will make it lose lots of colors, as you've seen.

I'll give this a shot.  My wife may wonder what the heck I'm doing since she bought it for me. :D  Ah well, the price we pay for good tone.
Erik

nero1985

i hope it helps, it made mine soun GREAT!

i also changed the 24k resistors for 22k,

that pic of the phase 90's board, i cant remember where i found it, if u had it let me know cuz i wanna give u credit as well

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Strat Cat on October 04, 2005, 07:04:23 AM
Would it be possible to change the color of the part numbers? I'm partially color blind and I can't make out most of them.Thanks!

Strat Cat, I have unusually good color vision (test score 100%) (mind you I have plenty of OTHER things wrong, can't drive a car!) but, I can't tell the components either. So it isn't just you! If you view in IrfanView (free!) then you can modify the color mix to optimise viewing. IrfanView is a handy thing to have anyway.

Strat Cat

Quote from: nero1985 on October 05, 2005, 12:10:57 AM
that pic of the phase 90's board, i cant remember where i found it, if u had it let me know cuz i wanna give u credit as well
The photo was taken by me about a year or two ago. This is the original.

Strat Cat

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on October 05, 2005, 03:48:43 AM
Quote from: Strat Cat on October 04, 2005, 07:04:23 AM
Would it be possible to change the color of the part numbers? I'm partially color blind and I can't make out most of them.Thanks!

Strat Cat, I have unusually good color vision (test score 100%) (mind you I have plenty of OTHER things wrong, can't drive a car!) but, I can't tell the components either. So it isn't just you! If you view in IrfanView (free!) then you can modify the color mix to optimise viewing. IrfanView is a handy thing to have anyway.
Well I tried it but I still can't make out most of the labeled components. Especially the resistors above C12 as well as others.

Strat Cat

stm

Now that the differences between the Script and Block logo versions have been finally unveiled, I think it is a good time to clarify the different models around. I have seen the P90 being named in many different ways, like:

*Phase 90 Script [logo]
*Phase 90 Block [logo]
*EVH Phase 90
*Phase 90 Reissue
*Phase 90 Original

However I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong), that there should be three (03) different sounding versions out there (?):

1) Phase 90 Script Logo = Phase 90 Original:  This is the original version, *actually* used by EVH (true or false?)

2) Phase 90 Block Logo = Phase 90 Reissue:  This version has a modified circuit intended to *reproduce* the actual EVH's tone when his *tube amps* were overdriven. As far as I can deduct from the many posts around, this version is not so popular as the Original one.

3) EVH Phase 90: This is a special version with a custom paint job (crossing stripes). I understand it has a white pushbutton somewhere that changes from Original to Reissue perhaps?. Don't know how it compares to the Script and Block logo ones.

You are welcome to correct and add to the above info.

vanhansen

Quote from: stm on October 05, 2005, 09:47:04 AM
Now that the differences between the Script and Block logo versions have been finally unveiled, I think it is a good time to clarify the different models around. I have seen the P90 being named in many different ways, like:

*Phase 90 Script [logo]
*Phase 90 Block [logo]
*EVH Phase 90
*Phase 90 Reissue
*Phase 90 Original

However I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong), that there should be three (03) different sounding versions out there (?):

1) Phase 90 Script Logo = Phase 90 Original:  This is the original version, *actually* used by EVH (true or false?)

2) Phase 90 Block Logo = Phase 90 Reissue:  This version has a modified circuit intended to *reproduce* the actual EVH's tone when his *tube amps* were overdriven. As far as I can deduct from the many posts around, this version is not so popular as the Original one.

3) EVH Phase 90: This is a special version with a custom paint job (crossing stripes). I understand it has a white pushbutton somewhere that changes from Original to Reissue perhaps?. Don't know how it compares to the Script and Block logo ones.

You are welcome to correct and add to the above info.

Close, but there are really 4.

Phase 90 (script logo)
Phase 90 (block logo - first with single op-amp script board and then later with dual op-amp block board)

By Dunlop:
Phase 90 (reissue)
EVH Phase 90

There was a thread about the EVH model a while back and cd graciously shared photos of each of the early boards and the differences.  I have taken that info and put it on my site.  There's a link to it on my Phase 90 mods page.
Erik

stm

analogmike

HI,

I thought You can't really mod a block logo or reissue P-90 to script specs, as the circuits are too different (# of chips, etc). And there were more than one version of the script logo, with different numbers of chips. MXR used revision numbers on the boards, i.e. rev 108 came out in 1978, which rev is your mod? My 1974 P90 (Bud Box) has 6 chips in it as does my later 76 script logo.
in 1979 they changed from 741 chips (single op amps) to TL062 duals, so # of chips was reduced. You should replace the op amps with 1458 chips for a script mod.

have fun!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

nero1985

u can turn a reissue phase 90 into a script with the mods above, in my case i changed it all! and it sounds great, the only thing that i havent changed from it are the output resistor (10k) as when i bypassed it it distorted and the phase dissapeared,

u can also even change the .047 caps if u find the .05 but thats up to u, im going to add a new schematic with all the mods possible for the new phase 90  as soon as i get a chance

cheers

RedHouse

I'm having trouble accessing Aron's links in the initial post above, anyone else?

I keep getting (2 days now):

"The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

vanhansen

They work fine for me.  Go right to the Layouts Gallery and see if you can get to them that way.  They're in the Schematics folder.
Erik

TheBigMan

Awesome work Nero.  I hate to imagine how long it took you to trace out a Dunlop Phase 90.  :o

nero1985

thanks, yeah it took about 5 or 6 hours to do it, i did it at night and i wanted to help everybody so that way we have more mods for this pedal im a big PHASE 90 fan and a big Cry Baby fan as well so ill be posting some interesting mods for the CRYBABY soon ;)