"Outside Positive' PS plug/jack quiery

Started by petemoore, October 04, 2005, 08:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

As posted already, I'm using A VS one spot. I have it working for just one pedal so far. I wonder what would happen if I connected the power supply ANd a battery at the same time...at 1700ma I figure it would charge the battery...but wonder about what else would happen.
  Next question...for anyone who uses something like this:
  The outside of the PS plug is the positive, this makes it a little trickery to just wire up...so far the box I have working is insulating an RS jack from the metal case it's mounted in.
  Here's a scenario I'm considering...putting 2 insulated jacks in each box and making patch cables [like monitor speakers use sometimes] so that I can just go from one box to the other daisy chain style...but I think I'd have to make the cords to have 2.1mm jacks on both ends [?].
  here's another...daisy chain cord...like Xmas tree lights.
  If anyone has found a better working scenario or method using outside pos PS plug I'd like to hear it. I'd prefer not to, but think I may want/have to cut the PS cable and solder to it the way I want it....slightly messy but functional....

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

Quote from: petemoore on October 04, 2005, 08:48:08 PM
  As posted already, I'm using A VS one spot. I have it working for just one pedal so far. I wonder what would happen if I connected the power supply ANd a battery at the same time...at 1700ma I figure it would charge the battery...but wonder about what else would happen.

KA - BOOM !!!

Next question...for anyone who uses something like this:
  The outside of the PS plug is the positive, this makes it a little trickery to just wire up...so far the box I have working is insulating an RS jack from the metal case it's mounted in.
  Here's a scenario I'm considering...putting 2 insulated jacks in each box and making patch cables [like monitor speakers use sometimes] so that I can just go from one box to the other daisy chain style...but I think I'd have to make the cords to have 2.1mm jacks on both ends [?].

That'll Work. Just respect polarity.

here's another...daisy chain cord...like Xmas tree lights.

That'll Work. Just respect polarity.

If anyone has found a better working scenario or method using outside pos PS plug I'd like to hear it. I'd prefer not to, but think I may want/have to cut the PS cable and solder to it the way I want it....slightly messy but functional....

RDV

petemoore

I'll be using the battery clips for wiring something else or tape over the ends well...always good having a backup.
  I think I'm liking the buncha jacks and interchangable cables/plugs method, since it's pretty easy to find room for small jacks, and I can make lengths to what I need....but...think'n one jack goes bad and the string including PS to every effect could be cut, this method best used as protected on a pedal board.
  This may be why daisy chains are a popular way to go.
  I'll verify polarity before and after wiring, before use, and use batteries for Pos Gnd of course for now.
  Thanks RDV !!! KA BOOOM ... that could be cool.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.