Fuzz Face clone, Treble roll off. Suggestions ???

Started by Melanhead, October 05, 2005, 08:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melanhead

I've been tinkering with a fuzz circuit based on the 70's Fulltone pedal but with some mods of course :)

I love the tone when the fuzz is cranked ( used 2 BC108 HFE 250 and 450 ) but as the guitar volume backs off it gets a little brittle ... I read the geofex fuzz face article and tried a few tips discussed there but I can't seem to roll off the top end, which I'm guessing is in around 4-5k at the top of the speakers frequency range. Anyone tried a low pass on one of these just before the output ??? Any other ideas ? ... It's liveable as is but sound like a fender with the bright switch on :)

Steben

Is it like the Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz?
If it is I would suggest lowering the bias resistors to lower values (resulting in the same bias of course!), making it lower input impedance. This gives a more classic fuzz face treble off.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Bernardduur

On fuzzcentral they reduced treble by putting a cap between the +9V and the signal out of 0.047 µf here.
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Steben

However, the more I think of it...
the '70 and the axis are made to sound "different" and "brighter" than the stock Fuzz Face. Maybe you should build a simple FF? Or if you already did: accept the pedal for what it is?  ;D

In all other cases I would really consider lower input impedance.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Melanhead

thanks guys I'll give the suggestions a shot ... or may just leave it alone :)

vseriesamps

How's the volume knob on your guitar set up? Mine has a .001 cap across it so that it retains high end (i.e. gets thinner) on the way down. This is very useful for getting clean clean tones out of an amp, but it could cause the sort of brittleness you're talking about in conjunction with your pedal. Removing such a cap would make the tone a little darker as the volume decreases, or there's a schematic up at fralinpickups.com to have your tone stay the same all the way down.

Maybe it'll help you to attack it from a different angle.

PS you want to roll of the volume to clean it up? or just for volume difference? playing much softer works well with that sort of fuzz

-
k
uh oh

shredgd

I built a fuzz face based on the 70's schematic, too, and I found it too bright as well, so I raised the value of the cap between the two transistors' collector to 47pf, and changed the volume pot to 500k to retain more bass.
Now I'm happy with it when playing at home, but I still haven't tried it at full volumes.
I hope this helps, bye!

Giulio
Protect your hearing.
Always use earplugs whenever you are in noisy/loud situations.

My videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/shredgd5
My band's live videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/swinglekings

Eb7+9

the other night I built a most wicked Antiquity using 2N2924's (Ge PNP) and  implemented top-end roll off using a 100kB pot and 0.047uF cap between collector of the last device and -9v rail ... try that out  :icon_wink:

btw, thx Joe - inspiring work !!!

bwanasonic

Quote from: Melanhead on October 05, 2005, 08:03:01 AM
It's liveable as is but sound like a fender with the bright switch on :)

That's a feature, not a bug!  8) ;D

Kerry M

Hey! Avatars?! I just noticed that!

Melanhead

Quote from: vseriesamps on October 06, 2005, 02:20:44 PM
How's the volume knob on your guitar set up? Mine has a .001 cap across it so that it retains high end (i.e. gets thinner) on the way down. This is very useful for getting clean clean tones out of an amp, but it could cause the sort of brittleness you're talking about in conjunction with your pedal. Removing such a cap would make the tone a little darker as the volume decreases, or there's a schematic up at fralinpickups.com to have your tone stay the same all the way down.

Maybe it'll help you to attack it from a different angle.

PS you want to roll of the volume to clean it up? or just for volume difference? playing much softer works well with that sort of fuzz.
-
k

No cap yet but wanna put one in ... just too lazy to take the strings off, and never thinking about it when the strings are off :)

Couldn't find tat schematic at the fralin site, can you point me too it ??

Melanhead

Quote from: shredgd on October 06, 2005, 02:30:49 PM
I built a fuzz face based on the 70's schematic, too, and I found it too bright as well, so I raised the value of the cap between the two transistors' collector to 47pf, and changed the volume pot to 500k to retain more bass.
Now I'm happy with it when playing at home, but I still haven't tried it at full volumes.
I hope this helps, bye!

Giulio

I currently have a 47pf cap in there but haven't tried the 500k pot, The only thing is that I took a while to fine-tune the amount of bass so I'm not sure if I wanna add more to compensate ... but who knows :)

Melanhead

Quote from: Eb7+9 on October 06, 2005, 11:40:20 PM
the other night I built a most wicked Antiquity using 2N2924's (Ge PNP) and  implemented top-end roll off using a 100kB pot and 0.047uF cap between collector of the last device and -9v rail ... try that out  :icon_wink:

btw, thx Joe - inspiring work !!!

interesting ... I was also thinking of trying Mark's "Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control" ... an thoughts ?

Melanhead

Quote from: bwanasonic on October 07, 2005, 03:08:36 AM
Quote from: Melanhead on October 05, 2005, 08:03:01 AM
It's liveable as is but sound like a fender with the bright switch on :)

That's a feature, not a bug!  8) ;D

Kerry M

Hey! Avatars?! I just noticed that!

cool,  huh !

MartyMart

I had a similar problem with an RM "Classic FF" ( rocket enclosure )
I think that I ended up using two roll off caps, a 10n right at the input from
jack to ground and a 3n3 to ground before the last cap on the board.
It worked a treat, smoothed it out, got rid of the "high hash" that was going
on.
Worth a try, but as always, it depends so much on your playing/gtr/amp
so it wont be right for everyone's taste !!

Cheers,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Melanhead

Quote from: MartyMart on October 07, 2005, 07:05:19 AM
I had a similar problem with an RM "Classic FF" ( rocket enclosure )
I think that I ended up using two roll off caps, a 10n right at the input from
jack to ground and a 3n3 to ground before the last cap on the board.
It worked a treat, smoothed it out, got rid of the "high hash" that was going
on.
Worth a try, but as always, it depends so much on your playing/gtr/amp
so it wont be right for everyone's taste !!

Cheers,
Marty.

True ...Cool, another idea! ... well lots to do this weekend :)

petemoore

Fine tuning FF's is an in depth venture.
  Guitar pickups
  guitar vol pot
  Transistors
  Input bass rolloff cap
  another cap somewhere to rolloff bass
  The interaction between the 470 ohm resistor, the output volume, the volume and settings on the amp...a 'standard FF' volume control can take a little hash out when turned down.
  HF Rolloff caps can be added in numerous positions
  I like my FF's a bit darker, and also like the .001uf [or so] cap on the guitar volume.
  An adjustable HF rolloff at the output is another nice thing I've used and like.
  I have 4 FF.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Melanhead

Quote from: petemoore on October 07, 2005, 09:01:41 AM
   Fine tuning FF's is an in depth venture.
  Guitar pickups
  guitar vol pot
  Transistors
  Input bass rolloff cap
  another cap somewhere to rolloff bass
  The interaction between the 470 ohm resistor, the output volume, the volume and settings on the amp...a 'standard FF' volume control can take a little hash out when turned down.
  HF Rolloff caps can be added in numerous positions
  I like my FF's a bit darker, and also like the .001uf [or so] cap on the guitar volume.
  An adjustable HF rolloff at the output is another nice thing I've used and like.
  I have 4 FF.

I'm beginning to see why this is such an interesting and tweakable circuit ! ..  :icon_wink: