Tonebender Mk 3 report

Started by Ge_Whiz, October 06, 2005, 08:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Maybe THat's what the 500k pot with 10k stop resistor is doing from Q3 Base to collector on the botique Tonebender at GGG.
  I put some transistors in, sounded great, tried it out, boxed it, now it sounds like it's gating...lol.
  I've ordered Ge's for this now too :icon_cool:.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brianwenz

Hello Hello--
     Yeah the "Lawnbox"  [or, Yardbox by Prescription Electronics]  is supposed to be a clone of the 3-Knob but  due to the transistors that they used it doesn't sound the same at all.  I have an original Yardbox and it's not bad, but compared to my DIY 3-Knobber it's lacking character and gain.
Brian.

petemoore

Yes it is more subdued than the 2 knob TB.
  There is some 'pulling toward ground neaar the tail end, also the 220k btw the tone and vol controls must be dropping the signal amplitude down some, though the way it is sitting is above unity, I'm wondering how loud the circuit will sound with different transistors, I'm thinking some 'loosening near the output might be needed, though that is part of the tone...maybe part of the idea is that the amp isn't pushed real hard.
  How loud are the original units or your clone...how much boost is it 'supposed to make?.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brian wenz

Hello Hello Pete--
      I've been told by a few people that the 220k isn't supposed to be in the circuit at all!  It does make a difference when you remove it.
  They should have plenty of gain and fuzz but not as much as the MKII.....a little tamer.
Brian.

Steben

QuoteMaybe THat's what the 500k pot with 10k stop resistor is doing from Q3 Base to collector on the botique Tonebender at GGG.
  I put some transistors in, sounded great, tried it out, boxed it, now it sounds like it's gating...lol.
  I've ordered Ge's for this now too .

Yup That 500k opens the silicon's "gate"... oops...base (FET's all around hey? ;-) they are labelled much more understandable).
It doesn't sound the same though, no. You would need a low gain silicon tranny, a feedback cap to trim off harshness, etc...
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them