A Fantastic analog Flanger !!

Started by MartyMart, October 08, 2005, 01:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

I've been trying to download Bit Torrent music files which I do not understand at all. Now, the question is.....how does this Yamaha of Korg flanger compare with the honorable ADA flanger? Just that.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

petemoore

So...is there a reasonable facsimile of or something near as cool...available at the local music store, new for about 15 or 20 dollars?
  I know a cheep SOB who'd like Flange...but it's gotta be at least 'decent'...'really cool'd' be even 'better'...L o L/S o S...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MR COFFEE

Hey Dai,

Thanks for chiming in!

If you have a link to the Korg flanger schemo, PLEASE post it and save me the hassle of emailing it !!!

I've gotten 8 requests I've mailed out already, so apparently it was missed by quite a few folks.

I don't recall where I got it from, perhaps the "generous upload" you mentioned (but to where was it uploaded, eh ??? Apparently GOOGLE, enquiring minds, and many schematic junkies want to know  ???:)

Cheers all...
Bart

Dai H.

Mark Hammer

JC Maillet was kind enough to send me schems for the Yamaha chorus and flanger.  I shouldn't say "the", because Marty started off talking about an FL-01 and the schem I'm looking at indicates FL-10MII.  How different they are, I cannot say.  I posted it over at photobucket for your dining and dancing pleasure: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/YAMAHA_FL10MII_page1.png

This factory schem would seem to have a few errors in it, referring to an MN3207 as a 256-stage BBD, and exhibitting a curious lack of AC coupling between the BBD and the filtering before it.  It also uses a simple pair of fixed resistors for biasing with no current-limiting resistor between this voltage divider and the BBD input.  Just seems weirdly spare compared to other devices of a similar type.

There are a few differences that stand out, to me anyways.

1) Apart from a DC-blocking cap at the input to the pedal and one after the buffer, there is pretty much NO bandwidth constraint on the clean signal.  In the Boss BF-2, even the clean signal goes through a pre-emphasis and de-emphasis network.  Here, the dry signal is pretty much unfettered by anything.  Strikingly enough, wet and dry are passively mixed at the output.

2) While the FL10 lacks a Manual sweep control (at least as indicated on the schem)a trimpot on the board identically replicates what the Manual control on a BF-2 does.  If, in fact, this is a 3-knobber, then that 50k trimpot can and should be converted to a 50k chassis pot, since the Depth control works in the identical fashion to that on the BF-2.

3) There IS a pre-emphasis/de-emphasis network, but only for the wet signal.

4) The Yamaha unit has a little twist to its regen/feedback loop.  The whole regen signal comes back via a 56k mixing resistor to the op-amp where incoming and regen signal are combined (taming it a bit, in comparison to the dry signal), but in parallel with that 56k resistor is a 6800pf and 12k network, resulting in a treble boost to the regen, starting around just under 2khz.  Interesting.  Curious to hear from owners/users whether they find anything distinctively pleasing about the regen sound on the Yamaha.

5) It uses 4016 CMOS switches for bypass, not FETs.  It also uses, or at least says it uses, 4016 sections for the Boss-style switching flip-flop instead of bipolars.  Can this really be done?  I'm in the dark here, but intrigued by the possibility.

puretube

whythisreason?

The pics of the PCB I posted are still up for comparison. (see earlier posts)
I also have a FL-100 but let's just say that one is gathering dust for a long time allready.
As far as this comparing to the AD/A Flanger, It's a bit less elaborate in controls,
but it sounds about as good on typical flanger settings imho...
I've got two of these and running them in stereo is cooler then any AD/A!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

WildMountain, I see a fuse missing.. is this fuse only used for the unit when in another case? And does anyone have any idea what current it draws? By a remarkable coincidence I'm trying to build a power supply for one (the only thing rarer than the Yamaha AD-10 is its 22v power supply).

George Giblet

I've been cleaning up some stuff.

Here's an annotated schematic for the Yamaha FL-01/Korg FLG-01
http://www.geocities.com/george_giblet/effects/Flanger_FL-01_FLG-1.png

I doubt R34 is 100k it's more likely to be 1ohm.

The FL-10MII is completely different - incidently R18 on the filter circuit has a dodgy value 100p!

TELEFUNKON

Quote from: George Giblet on April 09, 2006, 12:49:13 AM
I doubt R34 is 100k it's more likely to be 1ohm.

in the FL10MII (Mark`s link) it says "100" (without "k")
100 Ohm seems ok.

George Giblet

Thanks.

> in the FL10MII (Mark`s link) it says "100" (without "k")

For the FL10MII.  R18=100R isn't going to to work there.  I suspect it should be 47k (perhaps maybe 56k).

> 100 Ohm seems ok.

For the FL-01, 100ohm might be OK

I was thinking 1R could easily have been misread as 100k gold <-> yellow.

Another weird thing on the FL-10M II is C28.  It has no effect, sometimes parts like this are used for stability of the opamp but I can't see any reason for it in this ckt.

composition4

I know this thread is ancient... Just thought I'd bring up that I picked up one of these Yamaha FL-01 flangers and concur with MartyMart- it's a great sounding, versatile flanger - has a very natural sound to it, which I have never really heard in a flanger before

Would strongly recommend if you are in the market for a flanger and happen across one, grab it

Jonathan

skiraly017

I'm very curious about this now too. Would someone be kind enought to send me the schematic along with anything else that's pertinent and I will make sure the info gets hosted somewhere. Thanks.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

notchboy

The thing with the Korg FLG-1 isn't that it's super-intense or over-the-top (e.g. like the A/DA), it's just very musical sounding, with a smooth, even sweep and great tone.  People mention the steel-drum noises and self-oscillation, but that's not the main attraction IMHO.

btw, the FLG-1 supposedly uses the same circuit as the flanger in the Korg Trident synth.  There's no way to do an A/B comparison, but they do sound very similar.

any

I still don't know if there's a difference between the 01 and 10 versions,
but the partslist posted earlier in the thread was from one of my own FL-01's.
I have two of them by the way, and in stereo they sound absolutely fantastic!  ;D

Want a flanger? buy either a Yamaha FL-01 or Korg FLG-01.
They are the best sounding imho, and can be often bought for around $50/70.
The hardest part is probably finding them, although that's not even that hard...

Cheers,

It's supposed to sound that way.

Auke Haarsma

If anyone has a schematic (the links in this old thread are dead), could you please email it to me?
aukehaarsma at gmail dot com

much appreciated!

bent

i would like to have the schematic too!!!!   ;D

thank you very much

bent
Long live the music.....

I've been after a flanger for a while, but most of the newer pedals don't do it for me. They all tend to sound a bit sterile and overly 'effected'. I've got an old Colorsound which is absolutely fantastic, but there's a BIG volume drop when it's switched on. It's used as a studio effect now. Anyway, I've just managed to get a Yamaha FL01 !! Counting down the days until it's delivered.

BDuguay

I have a Yamaha FL100 flanger that's currently anti-working. Does anyone have a scheme for this one?
Thanks,
B.