single-diode tubescreamer?

Started by vseriesamps, October 09, 2005, 03:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vseriesamps

Hey team

If I were at home I would just try this out and see, but unfortunately I am on the road with no soldering iron (!o woeful forgetfulness!) and so I have to make an appeal to those in the know.

I recently changed out my TS from asymetrical ge diodes to 1ge/2si and I don't like it. The clipping threshold is way to high, I have to really punch it to make it do anything and it seems grainier.

Since I don't have my soldering iron (!o lamentable idiocy!), I'm wondering if I can just clip the Si's out and go from there. Or does the single-diode thing not work with the feedback loop diode setup . . . ? There, that's my question, at last.

Thanks always

-
k
uh oh

Peter Snowberg

Are you saying that you have one Ge diode in one direction and two Si diodes in series going in the other direction?

Another option you have is to use a little wire to short one of the series diodes out. Even a single conductor out of a piece of lamp cord will work great for that.

A couple of nights ago I lifted one of the diodes in my DS-1 and I like the results very much. Right now my amp situation is "much less than perfect" :icon_lol: so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I'll leave you with two magic words for the road.....

Butane Iron  :icon_wink:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

vseriesamps

Yup. Re: diodes you read me right.

Butane iron? Sounds dangerous. I'm more like a Zippo-and-a-pair-of-pliers guy.

So this isn't going to shunt to grd bc it's in a fb loop or anything? Someone's "broken diode, no sound" comment regarding their Dist+ in the archives had me worried.

-
k
uh oh