HA1457W IC, any known replacements?

Started by Speeddemon, October 09, 2005, 11:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speeddemon

I'm trying to build an exact-parts clone of the Boss FA-1 FET Amplifier (got the enclosure almost ready!)

and I have an original FA-1 here to check everything. Now there are 2 HA1457W opamps in there, and these are more rare than natural boobs in Hollywood.  ::)
I did manage to find 2 of these in a little quirky electronics shop in my home town ($11 each!), but these were the last two.

Does anyone know any easier-to-get SIP op-amps that could fit right in there?

I will later on try to build one according to Prophecy Sounds/Ustomp modern layouts, using a DIL dual opamp like a TL082.
But right now I'm mainly concerned about the original stuff!

That same shop also had a handful of the original S2K246 FETs ($0.50 a piece), so I grabbed 3 of those too.  :)
Meanwhile @ TGP:
"I was especially put off by the religious banterings written inside the LDO pedal. I guess he felt it was necessary to thank God that someone payed $389 for his tubescreamer!"

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

According to this (very strange!) site http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/ you could try:
KT815, L01, STR434, or STJ88. Whatever they are!!
I suspect the problem is, it's something commonly used in domestic electronics stuff & nowhere else, so there
are a half million in landfill & none in parts drawers.

cd

Anything SIP will work,it's such an unremarkable part.  Find the NTE equivalent, sand the NTE part number off and have the part # of your choice silkscreened on there.  Or buy a few thousand parts directly from Harris or JRC or whatever, they'll put whatever the heck you want on them.  Or are you a homebuilding wanker who doesn't need a few thousand parts?  Just sand the part # off and tell everyone it's the real thing... when you use your eyes to hear, mojo mystery gooped/sanded up parts sound way better than the real thing.  Consider how much time you've wasted searching for this part and how it will affect your bottom line (profit margin - and yes, sourcing parts is often a humongous waste of time).  Can you charge 4x as much with this mojo part?  Great.  If not, pfft, why bother?

Speeddemon

what do you mean with NTE thing?

I'm looking at 2 scenarios:
1) I'm gonna build no more than 10 exact parts-clones (which will be on the expensive side)
2) I'm gonna build modern 'clones', with easy-to-get-parts, metalfilm resistors etc etc.

And do you know whether Small Bear sells any SIP op-amps? Those are all 7 pins in 1 long enclosure?
Meanwhile @ TGP:
"I was especially put off by the religious banterings written inside the LDO pedal. I guess he felt it was necessary to thank God that someone payed $389 for his tubescreamer!"

cd

Quote from: Speeddemon on October 10, 2005, 10:48:32 PM
what do you mean with NTE thing?

I'm looking at 2 scenarios:
1) I'm gonna build no more than 10 exact parts-clones (which will be on the expensive side)
2) I'm gonna build modern 'clones', with easy-to-get-parts, metalfilm resistors etc etc.

And do you know whether Small Bear sells any SIP op-amps? Those are all 7 pins in 1 long enclosure?

I see you're an enterprising amateur at best - God help you if you don't know what NTE is.  Good luck to you in your project and of course, your buyers.

brad

Quote from: cd on October 10, 2005, 11:00:12 AMJust sand the part # off and tell everyone it's the real thing...

lol.  That's your answer right there SpeedDemon :D

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: cd on October 10, 2005, 11:05:42 PM
God help you if you don't know what NTE is. 

Ouch CD! I find that remark a rather painful one.
Please keep in mind, or consider, that the NTE thing is way more commonly available in the US than over here in Europe. When visiting this board I can be amazed people are looking for an NTE part without even having a clue on what the original was or even that it is not an original.
Personally I find the thought of having to resort to NTE parts for other reasons than single repair jobs a scary thought as I will not be able to have any guarantee that over time a) parts can be delivered in quantities required, and b) Part spec's are consistent.

I think I was making a living as an electronics engineer for some 5 years already beforre finding out what NTE was. So far I have never had to resort to tehm either.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

It's kind of interesting, the way SIP took off in Asia, but not much in USA. The only SIP i see here in australia is resistor networks, or in scrapped Asian hi fi from a decade ago.

TheBigMan

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on October 11, 2005, 04:35:43 AM
It's kind of interesting, the way SIP took off in Asia, but not much in USA. The only SIP i see here in australia is resistor networks, or in scrapped Asian hi fi from a decade ago.

Yeah, I dread the day I get sent a Boss pedal for repair and one of it's opamps is fried.  Finding even a TL072 or NE5532 in SIP in the UK or Europe isn't easy.