"Pictures of Matchstick Men" TZF

Started by Vsat, October 12, 2005, 12:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vsat

Tasty online snippet here (in case you forgot this 1968 offering from Status Quo):

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/listenwatch/0,,496926,00.html

Neat-O Thomas Wah + 12 string as well!

Cheers, Mike

Bernardduur

That was a great song BTW; used to cover it in my jamsessions but little people know the song......
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

10acErnie

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

spudulike

Vsat

phaeton

Excellent cover!

Great mix, love the rhythm guitar sound.  What is it?
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

10acErnie

Thanks everyone! :icon_redface:

Quote from: phaeton on October 12, 2005, 04:05:33 PM
Excellent cover!

Great mix, love the rhythm guitar sound.  What is it?

I used a '60 Strat relic into (I hate to say it) Protools and used Amplitube with a TC Chorus and a Waves Flanger......... I'm embaressed, but it's easier to record that way sometimes. :icon_redface: Forgive me!!!!!

phaeton

:icon_redface: Forgive me!!!!!

Forgiven!

My inspiration will always find me at the wee hours of the morning.  For those times, i use the Boss ME-30 Multi-FX into a Yamaha 4-track, then mix it down to Cool Edit to digitize it.  One thing about the ME-30 though, all along I've had this feeling that all 7 distortion types that it offers are nothing more than clever equalization applied to a turn-for-turn DS-1 Distortion circuit.  The effects are useable, but all in all the unit makes all my amps sound the same, and I don't like that.

As a side note, I have a recording (somewhere)  of a friend of mine and I covering Pictures Of Matchstick Men, and I used the "fuzz" and "phase" effects on the ME-30, then bounced it to another track backwards with reverb and my KMD phaser.  Makes those 5 note lil "dee dee deeduh dee" riffs jump out all psychodelicrazylike.
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

Peter Snowberg

VERY cool 10acErnie! 8) 8) 8)

Great cover! It's now in my playlist between My Bloody Valentine and Danzig. ;)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

10acErnie

Quote from: phaeton on October 13, 2005, 10:34:17 AM
  :icon_redface: Forgive me!!!!!

Forgiven!

My inspiration will always find me at the wee hours of the morning.  For those times, i use the Boss ME-30 Multi-FX into a Yamaha 4-track, then mix it down to Cool Edit to digitize it.  One thing about the ME-30 though, all along I've had this feeling that all 7 distortion types that it offers are nothing more than clever equalization applied to a turn-for-turn DS-1 Distortion circuit.  The effects are useable, but all in all the unit makes all my amps sound the same, and I don't like that.

As a side note, I have a recording (somewhere)  of a friend of mine and I covering Pictures Of Matchstick Men, and I used the "fuzz" and "phase" effects on the ME-30, then bounced it to another track backwards with reverb and my KMD phaser.  Makes those 5 note lil "dee dee deeduh dee" riffs jump out all psychodelicrazylike.
I know what you mean.
I don't really mind the heavy crunchin' distortion from Amplitube or Ampfarm but it's kinda tough to get a real nice Texas Strat tone.

"psychodelicrazylike" Hah, I love that word!

Quote from: Peter Snowberg on October 13, 2005, 11:23:48 AM
VERY cool 10acErnie! 8) 8) 8)

Great cover! It's now in my playlist between My Bloody Valentine and Danzig. ;)
I'm flattered...... right between MBV and Danzig!!!   :icon_biggrin:

Peter Snowberg

Thanks again for that tune 10acErnie!

Now it's sitting between The Id Group's "White Cadillac" and a Dandy Warhols' cover of "Hells Bells" by AC/DC.  :icon_biggrin:   :icon_biggrin:   :icon_biggrin: (that's bracketed by some Rush and Mankind Liberation Front)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

spudulike