Talk box driver choice.

Started by jrc4558, October 12, 2005, 10:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrc4558

Hey everybody!
I wonder how important it is to use a midrange, not a treble driver, when building a talkbox? I'm trying to save room, and the midrange drivers available to me are just too big. What do you say? Will it sound alright or will be too thin? Thanks!

petemoore

...tried with cheepo driver...kinda worked
  tried with Altec 808A driver [30w] and little tube amp driving it
  Worked great ! Probably overkill, [what volume knobs are for  :icon_redface:] but that's better that than a killed Driver coil.
  I've heard using too much power can cause dental problems.
  Dependant on the mic and PA of course
  I used to blow HF Driver diaphrams, then started using 'larger' Diaphrams, and less power [there's a 'certain sound' drivers make...a range of volumes that they'll handle, and another *certain sound when exceeding their volume range...to be avoided...].
  Basically, HF Drivers are easy to blow if they're pushed, limiting Lower frequencies [mids ITCase], and harsh peaks, goes a long way to achieving long life.
  It doesn't take all that much power to get HF Drivers to make loud noises, be certain they can handle what they're given.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jrc4558

Well, I'll try both and just post here I guess. :) I'm just happy that the HF driver cost $13.99 CAN. Crappy one too, but it's DIY :icon_razz: