Boss DD-6 high cut stereo mod by AnalogMan worth it? *UPDATE*

Started by formerMember1, October 13, 2005, 01:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerMember1

Hey,  :D

I was wondering if anyone could help me.  I am contemplating if I should send my DD-6 to analogman for highcut mod.  It would cost around $85.00-$90.00 for the Stereo high cut mod, including shipping.  That is ALOT of money for me.  And i hate that this pedal isn't truebypass, it supposedly has good buffers, but it just doesn't sound right when it is in my signal chain.  It makes my RangeMaster sound thin, (and who knows whatelse i didn't try)

I like a Delay for slapback echo for some songs, and like a longer delay for other songs, then there are times i just don't use it.

THe best delay i have ever heard was Fulltone's but that is $999.

I read alot of posts about a robot delay, and a PT-80 or something, a Deluxe memory man, etc,... BUt just wondering how these stand up to the DD6?

My needs for delay Live Onstage are,
Analog/Warm repeats
Slapback echo,
I NEVER use over around 650ms to maybe 700ms
True Bypass>>loop box, but preferably inherent true bypass
(never fiddled with tap temp, but I might need it, I have to try it out later)

I can't find a situation where i would use stereo delay function of the DD6.
Anyone want to ellaborate on stereo delay uses?  Do you plug chrous in there or something?

I KNOW what stereo is, but just don't know what Stereo Delay is.  :icon_wink:

I have the DD-6 in my chain as follows,
Strat>Tubescreamer>Rangemaster>DD6(w/true bypass loop box)>Korg tuner>amp

IN the future would be,
Strat>Wah>FuzzFace>Tubescreamer>Rangemaster>DD6(w/true bypass loop box)>Korg tuner>amp

thanks

Anyone know how to convert Boss Pedals(DD6) to truebypass?

Bernardduur

I thought the high-cut mod was a cap across a pot so the delays were cut a bit... easy mod?
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

aron

Worth it? Well, if you are not sure about how to mod something, then is it worth it to have an expert mod it? If you were to try and mod it and it breaks, how would you feel then?

I've been there and there are many times when it is worth having someone mod your stuff.

vanhansen

The high-cut mod in the DD-6 is much different than for the predecessors, DD-5, 3 and 2.  This is from another post: "The FEEDBACK "pot" on the DD-6 isn't a pot at all, but rather a digital rotary encoder. So it's only inputing a numerical value into the microprocessor, not passing signal through it. Thus, putting a cap across it won't change the sound at all."

The BOSS bypass circuitry is very well proven to work well.  I barely notice any loss whatsoever with any of my BOSS units, and I run a CH-1 and DD-2 thru my effects loop.  It's actually a very good buffer.  Converting it to true bypass is a PITA and not worth it.  If you don't like the buffer bypass, then you're doing the right thing by using the bypass box.

As for the stereo purpose, it is very cool.  You need 2 amps of course.  Now, imagine having a delay set for about 300ms and about 25% feedback.  Hit some notes and listen for it to bounce back and forth between each amp.  Lower delay settings bring them closer together for a really nice stereo sound.
Erik

moosapotamus

Quote from: formerMember1 on October 13, 2005, 01:45:27 PMI read alot of posts about a robot delay, and a PT-80 or something, a Deluxe memory man, etc,... BUt just wondering how these stand up to the DD6?

All the other pedals you mentioned above will give you nice analog sounding, warm repeats. In comparison, the DD6 does not color your sound at all... what goes in is exactly what comes out, just delayed & repeated. The other pedals you mention will sound less harsh than the DD6. I've never tried a memory man, but the PT-80 sounds so beautiful, I gave my DD5 to our other guitar player. :icon_wink:

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

formerMember1

first of all thanks for the replies,  ;D

THe reason i want analog man to mod it, and not me is because of what vanhansen said, it is those SMT components,(i did my research  :icon_razz:)

As far as the Boss's buffer,  I don't know, to my ears it seems to effect the Rangemaster, To "hear" a difference I kept the DD6 off, and used by true bypass looper box i made to take it in and out of the chain,  It seemed when it was bypassed(not in signal) i noticed my Rangemaster was thicker sounding, with it in the signal path, i noticed my sound was not as "meaty".  It felt like some of the organic tone was missing.

QuoteAll the other pedals you mentioned above will give you nice analog sounding, warm repeats. In comparison, the DD6 does not color your sound at all... what goes in is exactly what comes out, just delayed & repeated. The other pedals you mention will sound less harsh than the DD6. I've never tried a memory man, but the PT-80 sounds so beautiful, I gave my DD5 to our other guitar player.

I am gonna go find some clips of the PT-80, i heard great things about it after reading some posts by Mark Hammer.

The only thing i am worried about with the DD-6 after it is modded by analogmike, is that if it will color the sound of my Fuzzface,(still building that one) more than it colors my Rangemaster.  :icon_neutral:

QuoteThe BOSS bypass circuitry is very well proven to work well.  I barely notice any loss whatsoever with any of my BOSS units, and I run a CH-1 and DD-2 thru my effects loop.

Yeah i used to run mine through my effects loop, and use the effects loop to bypass it,  So it didn't effect my tone,  But i don't use those high gain amps, or fx loops anymore, SO i have to put the delay in my normal signal. 

The stereo function sounds good,  (Is that what i hear on VoodooChild Slight Return, when it wooshes back and forth from speaker to speaker, or is taht just a stereo univibe?)

Only time will tell,

thanks again everybody for your posts  :icon_wink:

analogmike

HI,

You don't need the stereo mod if you are using it in mono, the mono mod is cheaper and easier (there is not much room in there for all the parts we use in the stereo highcut mod).

The buffer in ANY pedal will change the tone and sound of certain pedals, especially germanium fuzzfaces. For example, a buffer in front of a fuzzface will not allow the pickup to interact with the transistor for the CLEAN UP effect. It may also change the tone of your rangemaster.But the rangemaster should be before the delay, that may help... but still may change the tone as the rangemaster likes to go directly to the input of the amp.  These are explained on RG Keen's GEOFEX.COM very well.

Hope that helps!!!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

formerMember1

moosapotamus

QuoteI am gonna go find some clips of the PT-80...

Click my sig. :icon_cool:

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

vanhansen

Quote from: formerMember1 on October 13, 2005, 03:52:29 PM
The stereo function sounds good,  (Is that what i hear on VoodooChild Slight Return, when it wooshes back and forth from speaker to speaker, or is taht just a stereo univibe?)

Same general idea, although I think they used a more primative effect then, like turning the pan knob on the console back and forth by hand.  But, that's pretty much what stereo delay will sound like with long delay times.
Erik

formerMember1

On an update i received my DD-6 from aNaLoGmAn modified for a warmer repeat.  It has a toggle switch for normal, low cut and high cut. It also is modified for stereo, ($85.00)

I think it changed the controls a little or something, i had to relearn how to adjust it just right. (but that could have been my forgetfullness)  I plugged it in and i at first didn't like it, then i realized the toggle switch was there, i flipped it to the left,(high cut, very warm repeat) and i couldn't hear it well, so i had to turn up the effect volume, so it was able to be heard since since it is warm, it was hard to hear at first. Then  I LOVED IT!!!
Very much improved, after flipping back and forth from unmodded to modded, i like it more and more,  I don't know how i ever used it before the mod,  I sent the pedal out last week, and got it today.  That means it was just barely a week, and it was back and modified.  I thought it was gonna take at least 2-3weeks at the minimum.  I didn't try the backwards delay with the new mods yet, but i bet it is closer to JMI's "are you exp... solo"!!!

thanks ANALOGMAN  :D

jrc4558

the simpliest thing to do will be rebote delay 2.5 from tonepad.com. Given your delay time ranges, it should fit your needs. Good luck.