Superdistortion Patent - US4811401

Started by StephenGiles, October 15, 2005, 06:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

US4357852, US4300431, US4811401. I don't know if they have been reported before. The last one provides a full circuit with part values.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Steve Newton

Interesting stuff. And as ever following up some of the referenced patents from the text throws up some more food-for-thought reading...

Use www.pat2pdf.org to grab these 4405832, 4180707, 3973461, 3530224, 3213181, 3544694, 3749809.
Steve.
Not my circus, not my monkey.

MartyMart

Re:4811401 I know James Brown and Jack Sondermeyer from Peavey electronics !
I used to demonstrate and produce samples/software for their keyboard products for a few years.

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Harry

Wow, that's really interesting. How many guitar related patents are on the net? How hard are they to find? For example let's say I wanted to find the Fuzz-Tone patent could I find it on the internet?

StephenGiles

It's all a question of luck really, I use this free patent site
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/
....you can enter search words which may not come up with anything, so try something else, then it may come up with a list. You have the choice of Tiff or PDF - I use PDF which seems to download faster. Usually there is a list of other patents referred to in the one on the screen, and so it goes on. I recommend starting early in the evening on this as I got on to a good trail yesterday evening, 10 minutes before we turn in for the night - but I did have time to print out the Peavey Superdistortion patent.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

gaussmarkov

wow, i had no idea.  :o  very cool.  thanks for pointing this out!  :icon_cool:

Harry

Thanks stephen This'll be lot's of fun.

puretube

Quote from: Harry on October 15, 2005, 01:56:09 PM
How many guitar related patents are on the net? How hard are they to find? For example let's say I wanted to find the Fuzz-Tone patent could I find it on the internet?

yes, they`re all here...

R.G.

By the way: patents are a deal between the government and the inventor. In return for the inventor getting twenty years of exclusive use of his invention, he gives everyone the right to use it free and clear after the twenty years are up. The government **wants** you to make use of expired patents.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

brett

Hmmm....
So many patents seem to be taken out by complete whackos.
My search returned this one: "CN2532551Y; Electronic guitar with built in distortion effect device and metronome"
Don't know how I got by without that built-in metronome.... :icon_wink:
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Mark Hammer

If you want even more patent numbers, go to the engineering section of your university library, and look up back issues of the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society.  They have had a regular review of audio-related patents for decades now.  It isn't all musically related (e.g., you'll find hearing aids or turntable vibration isolators), but you can often find some surrisingly offbeat things as well as preludes to what's coming up in your local audio shop in 5 years.

StephenGiles

Something for the weekend sir???...............guitar synthesiser perhaps??????
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4316401.pdf

Now where have I seen the name Michael Beigel before?????
Stephen

puretube

Mark Hammer

Take a look here: http://ampage.org/hammer/files/Device1-7.PDF
Page 8 in particular.

The product in question is the Musico Resynator.  Mike Beigel mentions it on his site: http://www.beitec.com/stomp.htm  but shows no picturesor provides more than a cursory mention.  Do not confuse it with the Hartman Neuron which also has some software application called Resynator and willprovide the bulk of your google hits when you enter "Resynator".  I *think* there may be a more elaborate review of the device somewhere in one of my POLYPHONY back issues, but it will take a few days to confirm that.

Thanks, Steve!