Small Bear should carry...

Started by amz-fx, October 16, 2005, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Quadroplex boxes.
  An apartment for each:
  FF, Tycho, Uni, Wah...[some would require exp. pedals]
  Or whatever you want to put in each seperately shielded compartment.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

smallbearelec

Hello All--

As you might reasonably expect, I have been absent from here because I was dealing with my move and its aftermath. The former is done; I have been in my new shop for two weeks now, and existing stock is out of boxes. The gain in efficiency is already enormous, and not a minute too soon, as order volume is humongous! Concurrent with responding to e-mail and dealing with business matters, I am giving as much time as I can to the remaining--very large--job of organizing stuff and making best use of the space. Once that's done and I know how much room I have to grow into, I will start to look at that (marvelous!) list of suggestions and start planning what to buy first.

I am enormously pleased so far with the way the Cave is panning out! Thanks so much for your help with the marketing; you'll start to see the results on the stock list over the next few months.

Regards
SD

petemoore

No Thank You Steve...
  I mean: [lol] No, ...thank *YOU Steve !!
  Who else do we 'know that can be resident "Razz-ee" for a day and thank us for it???
  z*Big thanks to Steve at the Cave...I'm pleased to hear the new expanded place is working out well, and that your business there is doing quite well.
  The 'ins and outs of the cave is exclusive business of the bear, it's a great thing, that the bear has 'radar'... listens to and appreciates suggestions.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RickL

I'm glad you revived this thread. Would you consider adding pc mount tube sockets to your stock? I would love build a couple of low voltage tube pedals but I can't find tube sockets locally.

Rick

cmat

I would like to see bulk resistors in common values maybe 100, 500 or 1000 to a bag.  Bulk radial lead caps in common values maybe 25 or 50 to a bag.  I would like to see ceramic disc caps and tantalum caps.  3pdt switches at a price to compete with everyone else pedal parts plus and effects conection has them for $4 ea and Aron has them for $6.50.  These arent complaints just suggestions.  Everyone knows we would be screwed without Steve :icon_mrgreen:

formerMember1

i don't like the cheap flimsy battery snaps,  i like the hard plastic battery snaps, but they ones smallbear sells, have a little lip where the wires come out, this stops me from being able to use them in a hammond 1590B box, becuase the lip hits the bottom plate,  The ones Dunlop uses in their wahs are pretty good, they are flat where the wires come out, so you could use them in small enclosures. 

just an advice/option to get different ones Steve,....

Steben

MN3204 ! 8 pin 512 stage BBD for flanger mods!
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

phaeton

Quote from: phaeton on October 17, 2005, 11:33:53 PM
small bear should carry.....

.....his own damn weight around here, sheesh!

(j/k) ;)

How about perfboard that's laid out with copper traces like a breadboard....

(is that cheating?)

Or should I just STFU and buy stripboard/veroboard? 

BTW, the stuff I was referring to are the Radio Shack style boards.  Cheggitout:

or equivalent.  Click on the pic to read its description.

Since RS appears to be discontinuing all thier pieces parts, and because we'd all rather buy them from Smallbear anyways, and because Smallbear's boards would probably be 10x better than the ones RS has.

Noticed that you're starting to pick up a few new things in the store, Steve.  Is it time yet for us to start bugging you for stuff?  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Stark Raving Mad Scientist

Mark Hammer

The pad-per-hole boards Steve carries actually ARE many times better than RS's, largely because he has them specially made for him/us.

I've discussed the possibility of getting some SIP chips with Steve and although he can't get to it just yet, he seems favourably disposed to the idea.  SIPs are those vertical chips you'll often see in many Boss and similar pedals.  Not only do they provide a smaller footprint, but they provide tremendous convenience when laying things out.  Just think how easy it would be to lay out a board if you had a choice of which side of the pins you wanted to stick the feedback resistor and cap...or even put one on one side and the other one on the other side!

I've suggested the M5218L and its Rohm equivalent, the BA15218, as well as the AN6551, NJM4558.  Also helpful for some folks would be the BA6110, a higher quality VCA used in some commercial compressors, and the SIP version of the NJM/JRC13600 which would make 8-stage phasers a breeze to lay out and stuff into small boxes.  I hope he has the time and fiscal flexibility to get to it.

phaeton

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 12, 2006, 03:13:09 PM
The pad-per-hole boards Steve carries actually ARE many times better than RS's, largely because he has them specially made for him/us.

Oh hell yeah they are.  They are a total joy to work with.  Hands down, not up for debate.  End-of-discussion. ;)
I try to turn as many people onto those as I can.

QuoteI've discussed the possibility of getting some SIP chips with Steve and although he can't get to it just yet, he seems favourably disposed to the idea.  SIPs are those vertical chips you'll often see in many Boss and similar pedals.

Cool!  I've seen some of those and thought "hey, that's a neat, space saving setup".  I assume they'd work in a standard IC socket as well- i.e. cramming 2 NJR455Ds in a 16-pin DIP socket? :D
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

MetalGuy

AL1101, AL1201, AL3201 /Wavefrontsemi/ for that FEMTOVERB project.
Buying directly from them directly wasn't a pleasant experience.

mdh

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 12, 2006, 03:13:09 PM
I've suggested the M5218L and its Rohm equivalent, the BA15218, as well as the AN6551, NJM4558.  Also helpful for some folks would be the BA6110, a higher quality VCA used in some commercial compressors, and the SIP version of the NJM/JRC13600 which would make 8-stage phasers a breeze to lay out and stuff into small boxes.  I hope he has the time and fiscal flexibility to get to it.

I perfed a TS-808 a while back using a Rohm 4558 in a SIP package, and it was soooooo easy to lay out. I just ran Vcc down one long edge of the board, Vref and GND down the other edge, and the circuit practically laid itself out. I got my SIPs out of an old subwoofer board with a blown chipamp, and was planning to include some in my next Mouser order. Of course, people probably need to start making more layouts for SIPs before they're profitable for Steve to carry... but then, if no one has them, they won't make layouts... vicious circle.

rockgardenlove

Electro-Harmonix style boxes!
They'd be good if they were cheaper than the Hammonds.

Processaurus

I'd pay ~$20 apiece for a box like the older Morley stuff .  I wonder what happened to that tooling, because they don't use it anymore.  Morley:  Sell it to Taiwan! 

Oh, and small bear should carry switchcraft 2.1mm DC power plugs.  The cheap ones melt easy, and are too small to make daisy chains out of (the shell hole in the shell is too small to accomodate 4 wires)

I really like the powder coated BB size boxes, by the way.  Its also cool Steve started carrying Schottke diodes.

I think its come up, but a little tiny PCB that adapts SMT chips to a normal dip (the customer could buy there own connector) would be great

Quote from: rockgardenlove on June 12, 2006, 06:53:01 PM

A downside to those is I think they are punched out at the factory that fabs them.  Ever notice EH stuff always has the same control layout and # of knobs on the 3 different boxes they use?

choklitlove

i would love to start using eh boxes.  have you ever tried drilling one, though?  it is a bitch, and it makes me not want to use them now.  cast aluminum is way better for us diy guys.

unless you have a drill press...
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

Processaurus

Quote from: choklitlove on June 13, 2006, 02:17:47 AM
i would love to start using eh boxes.  have you ever tried drilling one, though?  it is a bitch, and it makes me not want to use them now.  cast aluminum is way better for us diy guys.

unless you have a drill press...

Or a punch  :icon_cry: