Yippeee! First pedal mod working!

Started by Kræn, October 17, 2005, 04:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kræn

I've just modded my GCB-95 with mods from Andreas Möllers website: http://members01.chello.se/pastorn/fx/mods.htm. I did the true bypass w. buffer removal, the lowerrange boost, and the mid boost. And it works perfectly and sounds great.

But I do have a couple of questions though. I wanted to do the vocal mod... It says to replace the resistor in series with the inductor (33k) with a higher value such as 56k or even higher, to change the "shape" of the wah. Problem is: on my crybabys PCB that's not a 33k resistor, but only a 17ohm resistor. That's when I use my DMM. But the colour code tells me it's 2.2k. What's with that???

Also I realized that the jacks in my pedal aren't very good. Looks really cheap and also I accidentally one of the screws too hard, and now it just turns around and around without ever getting tighter. Can I get new ones of these anywhere, perhaps better quality?

Christian

nightingale

Congrads!
FuzzCentral has some good mods too. Have a look at the axis fuzz. I have some sockets in my old crybaby, i swap out values from time to time. Don't forget the transistor mods. I got alot more sweep out of my cybaby with some lower gain trannys.

be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

waldo041

Quote from: Kræn on October 17, 2005, 04:54:53 PM
I wanted to do the vocal mod... It says to replace the resistor in series with the inductor (33k) with a higher value such as 56k or even higher, to change the "shape" of the wah. Problem is: on my crybabys PCB that's not a 33k resistor, but only a 17ohm resistor. That's when I use my DMM. But the colour code tells me it's 2.2k. What's with that???

first, double check that this is in fact the vocal mod resistor. second did you measure the value in the circuit? if so, get some desoldering braid and remove it and then test the resistor. i tried the 56k and seemed a little to much so i dropped down to a 47k for my recent mod.

Also I realized that the jacks in my pedal aren't very good. Looks really cheap and also I accidentally one of the screws too hard, and now it just turns around and around without ever getting tighter. Can I get new ones of these anywhere, perhaps better quality?

i am pretty sure you mean the jacks that are board mounted. if so,you could remove them and solder in some standard switchcraft jacks or hopefully some one here could chime in with a replacement part#.

hope this helps.

peace,
waldo

Kræn

Quote from: waldo041 on October 17, 2005, 05:33:05 PM
I wanted to do the vocal mod... It says to replace the resistor in series with the inductor (33k) with a higher value such as 56k or even higher, to change the "shape" of the wah. Problem is: on my crybabys PCB that's not a 33k resistor, but only a 17ohm resistor. That's when I use my DMM. But the colour code tells me it's 2.2k. What's with that???

first, double check that this is in fact the vocal mod resistor. second did you measure the value in the circuit? if so, get some desoldering braid and remove it and then test the resistor. i tried the 56k and seemed a little to much so i dropped down to a 47k for my recent mod.

i am pretty sure you mean the jacks that are board mounted. if so,you could remove them and solder in some standard switchcraft jacks or hopefully some one here could chime in with a replacement part#.

hope this helps.

peace,
waldo

Yup, I'm certain it's the right resistor I'm talking about. The pics on the website show excactly which one it is. No mistake there. Yes, I tested it in the circuit. But with no power on... So does that really matter? Anyway. I'll try what you said. I don't suppose my wah could be some kind of edition with this one particular type of inductor so that it needs a much lower resistor? .... or something..

And yes I do mean the board mounted jacks. They look like cheap plastic crap that could break by looking at them.

Christian

petemoore

Measuring a resistor in circuit:
  If you read a higher value, the resistor is 'wrong'
  If you read the same value the resistor is probably 'right'
  If you read a lower value, the circuit may be providing a path of less resistance or whatever ... divided, you'll have to disregard these 'anomolous' readings, do the math or pull one end of the resistor from being in circuit and measure it.
  Vocal mod may be dependant on having an inductor with the 500mh or whatever 'rating', I tried it on my V847 wah and it didn't vocalize anything, put in a Yellow fasel and tried again and does the vocal thing...YMMV.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

wampcat1

Keep in mind, to measure a resistor, you need to remove at least one end from the circuit - if it is left in place, it will read wrong on your dmm.

Take care,
Brian

Kræn

Quote from: wampcat1 on October 18, 2005, 08:04:43 AM
Keep in mind, to measure a resistor, you need to remove at least one end from the circuit - if it is left in place, it will read wrong on your dmm.

Take care,
Brian

Thanks Brian!! Did that, it worked out. When I removed the one leg of the resistor the DMM showed 32,7k or something like that. So I went ahead and replaced the resistor with a 56k. So now I'm officially finished with doing my first mod. And it really does sound a lot better. The sweep is bigger and smoother. Next up is my SD-1.....
May the mods be with us all!!

Christian