soft-compression discrete POWER opamp.

Started by Steben, October 19, 2005, 03:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

As I watched this nice fellow's work...:

(thanks peter.)

... I suddenly realized that every discrete opamp with feedback -hey!- is the blueprint of a SS power amp.
I wondered how to implement the feedback loop clipping AND the soft-compression in a beefed-up design  - perhaps with a MosFET - to create let's say a 1 to 5Watts SS practice amp with grace overload capabilities.

The feedback (soft) clipping should start at 0.65V (with a pair of Silicon diodes) output which leads to about 50 mWatts output power at start clipping so maximum at 60-70mWatts. With Red LED's this comes to 1.5V and 281 mWatts. With Blue LED's 3.5V and 1500 mWatts (1.5W). As long as the output transistors can hold the maximum, you could switch between output power! Because of the clipping characteristics, the clipping will be softer at lower forward voltages hence the input voltage / clipping voltage ratio.

Anyone care to help designing this idea? Thanks in advance to Peter Snowberg and Joe Davisson.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

diskoduck

Hey Steben,
I came here inspired by the TRANSTUBE Technology of Peavey.
Did you ever check this out?
Did you read their patents?
Nice to see that other people here are investigating in the same direction.
I got a TriAXIS and ADA Poweramp in my rack, had a 2:90 also but I like the FEEEEEELLLLL of power sag and
compression and presence on ten but not hurting.
That's all done in a Peavey Bandit for 150€!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want that in my rack after the TRiaxis...................unfortunately I first have to learn much more:-)