boss dm-2 analog delay

Started by HrD, October 19, 2005, 08:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HrD

hi,
i get the schem of this great efx...does anyone get the pcb? ...'cos there are many expensive components...and i don't want to waste money. :icon_rolleyes:
mn005 (20$) on smallbear :icon_twisted:
bye
-------------------------------
www.francescoaccardi.com

Herr Masel

I don't know about the pcb, but where did you get the schem? Did you pay for it?

Mark Hammer

We've been through this debate too many times to count, HOWEVER....

The Princeton PT2399 digital delay chip provides approximately the same amount of delay time at a fraction of the price of the MN3005, with less space required.  The PT-80 delay project that Scott Swartz designed around the PT2399 (available here:  http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=68  ) has been successfully built by many people here who have generally commented that it compared very favourably with analog delays of the same delay range.  Yes, there IS a difference between analog and digital, but once all the companding and filtering is factored in, the PT2399 doesn't sound all that different through your typical rock and roll amp/rig.

Steve Daniels / Small Bear carries the necessary chips, and the layout is available at the site I linked to.  I recommend the path of least resistance.

bwanasonic

It's not DIY, but if you are looking for a delay that can do a very good *analog-ish* delay, that also does *digital*, reverse and several other useful functions (tap tempo), the Line 6 Echo Park is a lot of bang for your buck. It's replaced my vintage analog delay in my rig because of it's versatility.

Kerry M

Mark Hammer

Seconded, though it is *technically* possible to produce a pedal that does the 350msec echo thing for somewhere in the neighbourhood of under $50 US (that includes electronics, switches, box, pots, etc).  I don't know what the Echo Park costs where you live, but Kerry is quite correct in saying that it is a highly flexible pedal for the money.  If you had any plans to make a slow-attack pedal for tape reverse effects, the EP will do that very nicely.  Add up the cost of making your own slow-attack pedal, and your own medium delay pedal, and you start to approach the cost of an EP...which has MANY more options and features than those listed here.

HrD

i would like to do an analog delay!!!

i've done the reboote delay...it's funny...but i don't like to have efx with bugs!...(repeats become a little dirty with longest delay
times)

ps. why FP (tonepad) use passwords for pdf files ... always i have to rip those with pdf recovery password..when i have to paste the list of material on my .doc file!!! :icon_twisted:
www.francescoaccardi.com

dadude

I have read in forums that a lot of users of the Echo Park complain that the unit is very noisy compared to the original models and even the Line 6 DL-4. I've also read that they complain that it does not do a very convincing simulation of the originals. I have not used the EP but I did have a DL-4. I found that it did not do a really convincing job for me either and went back to my old analog devices.

Stevo

I like the DM-3  have a few and a brand new one in the box....I just got an AD-9 Ibanez cause I know that analog delays will go up in price ....i have heard many say the chips are going away slowly but surely... It sounds real good for my style, adds some more sound enhancing when i play a lead track, than can bounce as a delay to get that effect....AD-9 139.00, Musicains Freind.. I know you want to build one this,just me running on with my mouth ;D
practice cause time does not stop...

no one ever

(chk chk chk)

Vsat

Take a look at the schemo for the Tokai TDL-1 analog delay - it is very similar to the DM-3, which is quite similar to the DM-2. Someone on the list posted board photos for the TDL-1 earlier this year.
Mike

opik

Mark Hammer

Quote from: dadude on October 19, 2005, 05:01:05 PM
I have read in forums that a lot of users of the Echo Park complain that the unit is very noisy compared to the original models and even the Line 6 DL-4. I've also read that they complain that it does not do a very convincing simulation of the originals. I have not used the EP but I did have a DL-4. I found that it did not do a really convincing job for me either and went back to my old analog devices.

Not sure whether the people posting on other forums have their facts wrong, or whether maybe they just expressed them wrong or you remembered them wrong (it happens...to me too).  Whatever noise issues there were in the first issue EP were improved.  It IS always possible that somebody bought or tried a second issue, and mistook a more recently purchased first issue for a second issue, but both Jack Orman and I got a recall from Line 6 to return our first-issue modules in exchange for an improved second issue with less noise.

Unlike the DL-4, the "analog" simulation and "tape" simulation are applicable to all patches/programs.  Whether or not the analog simulation "nails" it for you is a matter of taste and what you define as "analog tone" in your own mind, but personally I found it pleasant and clearly distinct from the "digital" filter setting which aims for max bandwidth all the time.  There is certainly no reason one HAS to like any pedal, but I can vouch for the fact that Jeorge, Angelo, and the gang DID their homework on this one and packed in a lot of stuff for the money.  Can you get better for more money?  Sure.  But then there's that more money part that I always seem to have trouble with.....

jimbob

Ive heard so many great things about the line 6 stuff that im going to buy them all eventually.. Ill take Marks word forit that there that good. Isnt George the same George of  the "swollen pickle?"

James
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

george

I bought a DM-2, then built an AD-3208 (using a PCB I bought from generalguitargadgets), then sold the DM-2 because the AD-3208 sounded exactly the same

:icon_cool:

Mark Hammer

Quote from: jimbob on October 19, 2005, 10:02:49 PM
Ive heard so many great things about the line 6 stuff that im going to buy them all eventually.. Ill take Marks word forit that there that good. Isnt George the same George of  the "swollen pickle?"

James

Yup, he's the Mr. Huge guy who started/ended Way Huge pedals and it's Jeorge with a J.

bwanasonic

Quote from: dadude on October 19, 2005, 05:01:05 PM
I've also read that they complain that it [Echo Park]does not do a very convincing simulation of the originals.

I could certainly pick out my analog delay from the EP if A/B'd while playing solo in my living room. Live, at stage volumes, in a band setting I'm not so sure. And if anyone were to cry out "Hey! That doesn't sound like a real analog delay!", I would quickly switch to reverse delay and time would reverse, and they would forget they ever thought such a thing… ;D Anyway, I'm not selling my Analog Delay in case I ever need that clock whine sound :icon_wink: But seriously, if all I needed was slapback to medium *thickening* delay effects with *mojo*, I'd stick with my vintage analog delay. Luckily I got mine before the prices started getting too crazy. I've never tried one of the DIY versions, and I've never read reports of direct A/B comparisons with vintage models. Hopefully they're a lot better than that $40 Arion analog delay I got from Musician's Friend a while back. Those are a joke.

Kerry M