A new Phase Shift Pedal?

Started by sir_modulus, October 23, 2005, 07:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sir_modulus

Hi all,

So, here's how the story goes, I was up diggin' through my attic when I stumbled across a sheet of graph paper (gone all vintage and brownish yellow), and it has a inked (by hand or not, I can't tell) Schematic with my grandfathers signature on the back. I don't know if it's of his own creation or not, so I'll just post it anyways  :icon_mrgreen: . The pedal appears to be a basic SAD 1024 based shifter, with a 4011 based clock. What do you guys think?

Here you go:
Phaser/Flanger

Cheers,

Nish

toneman

Looks like something out of a Forest Mims book.

:)
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Mark Hammer

For a little while, Radio Shack had some circuits/projects books, written by Forrest Mims, that were printed on kind of cheap newsprint, with a sort of hand-writing font used throughout, and the book was 3-ring binder compatible.  The paper was made to look like graph paper.  I have that very circuit in my binders, along with circuits for the LM386, LM1877, and a bunch of other audio and other circuits of interest to myself at the time.

Now, if your grandpa WAS Forrest MIms, that would be one thing, but what you have there is a circuit that was essentially promo-literature for chips sold at Radio Shack (i.e., what can you do with our inventory?), which is why it is made up of a SAD1024, a TL084, and a CD4011 - all of them being sold in bubble packaging at RS at the time.

Ah, those were the days......

sir_modulus

Well, at least we have a source for our mystery schemo.  I wish Radioshack was like that now too....

As for the usability, what do you think it'll sound like? Are there any pedals this is a copy of?

Cheers,

Nish

Peter Snowberg

Somewhere I have the 1978(?) "Engineers Notebook" which as Mark notes was essentially a set of application notes. That page is from a little later edition because it lacks the 276-XXX part number at the title of the page. They kept that schematic in later editions, but got rid of the RS part numbers that they no longer carried.

http://www.forrestmims.org/

I always looked forward to reading anything he wrote.  :icon_biggrin:

I wonder hot it sounds.... I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that Forrest doesn't play guitar.  ;)

In the 70's, RS actually had a CHEMISTRY SET and these big boxes of "junk" that often had lots of transformers that were a little dented but fixable in 2 seconds with pliers. There was also a lot of phenolic/glass PC board in there too. Those were the days indeed.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

PharaohAmps

Hell, in the 80's, RS carried the Concertmate MG-1 keyboard that was a Moog-designed and -built unit.  Was basically a typical cheap Moog monosynth (think Rogue, Prodigy, etc.) with a top-octave synthesizer chip like a cheap organ.  Could do polyphony with the top-octave sounds, but had "high-note priority" so chords came out kind of weird if you combined that with the monosynth / VCO sounds, unless you voiced your chords with the root on top.

Here's a fun little tune done with one:

http://www.pharaohamps.com/Sounds/moogrocks.mp3

All the instruments are done with one of those Radio Shack Moogs.  I did this little piece to kind of "advertise" the one I sold on ebay a few years back, but the little tune (30 sec. long) is just so catchy I never get tired of it.  I've got another that I did with a Casio SK-1, but it sounds kind of crappy. :)

Yeah, Radio Shack is a good place to go if you need a new cellphone.  I'm just sad that the ONE electronics store here in Raleigh, NC closed down.  They were real old-school - paper receipts, lots of big books behind the counter, ridiculous prices on stuff, etc.  I bought all their tubes for $5 when they closed down.  Nothing really good, but I have about 40 5694 remote-cutoff pentodes in the tube box.  ;)

Matt Farrow
Pharaoh Amplifiers
http://www.pharaohamps.com

sir_modulus

HAHA! This is awesome, I just found a bunch more of these papers for all sorts of different circuits....leafing through gave me an idea:

You have an LFO that drives two seperate noise makers (one that produces a sawtooth, and one that produces a sine wave), via a photocoupler, that both run at different offsets (so at peak swing on the LFO, one is at say 400hz, and other at 2.8khz). This is put through a ring mod that works on these two signals, and factors in the original......

Total sonic chaos?  :icon_mrgreen: