Small Clone mods

Started by alteredsounds, October 24, 2005, 12:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alteredsounds

Hi,

I have a spare battered old Small Clone that I'd like to try my hand at modding.  I've seen that there are a few things that can be done but am unsure where to start and what is worth doing? 

Cheers,
Nick,

jmasciswannabe

I would suggest starting with the vibrato resistor lift mod. Its pretty simple and gives you another effect sound. You can also dabble with adding a pot for depth. Lots of info around for these mods, check tonepad or generalguitargadgets, and definitly search the forum.
....the staircase had one too many steps

nelson

Aswell as the depth pot mod one not suggested on the tonepad layout is the "tune" knob. Replace the 39K resistor coming off pin 3 of the CD4047 with a 100K pot and 4K7-10K resistor in series. This is instead of the Rotary switch cap mod.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

alteredsounds

Excellent, will try these after work, any more please let me know. :)

wui223

Quote from: nelson on October 24, 2005, 07:24:56 PM
Aswell as the depth pot mod one not suggested on the tonepad layout is the "tune" knob. Replace the 39K resistor coming off pin 3 of the CD4047 with a 100K pot and 4K7-10K resistor in series. This is instead of the Rotary switch cap mod.

I put a 4k7 in series with 100k poy on that spot u mentioned. But i dun hear any noticable difference. Can u describe the effect of this mod ?

Mark Hammer

The impact of this mod is to change the delay-time range.  Ideally, at one extreme the sound shold be a more obvious doubling, while at the other it should be more in the direction of Leslie speaker swirl.  If the pot does not produce the desired degree of contrast, you can try the cap mod, where the 150pf cap is either replaced by a different value or else has another cap placed in parallel or series to shift the delay-time range.

freak scene

there are some really interesting circuit bends in this pedal.  ill post pictures when i get home of the one i did.

alteredsounds

Look forward to seeing those.  Got a spare old EH Electric Mistress and a Deluxe one that look prime for bending! :)

Mark Hammer

You realize, of course, that if you have an Electric Mistress and just about any other delay-based device, all it takes to have stuinning through-zero flanging is a two input mixer and some patch cords? 

Set one EM to filter-matrix (fixed delay) setting, and dial in a couple of msec delay (not too much).  Feed the dry/clean output of that EM to the second one.  Set the second one to whatever you like.  Now, feed the Delay-only outputs of each of them to a 2-input mixer, and blend to taste.  Get ready for swirly magic.

jmasciswannabe

man....it sure would be cool if someone came up with a thru-zero add on mod for the upcoming tonepad 9volt electric mistress. if there was someway to incorporate a mixing stage and another controllable delay line.....well just thoughts really
....the staircase had one too many steps