Swapping BS170 for JFETs?

Started by Steve Newton, October 26, 2005, 12:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Newton

Any complications or kinks likely for using BS170s in place of A JFET?

Just scored 50 of them on ebay dirt cheap, have a couple of AMZ mosfet boosters to build for other people and I'm wondering what I can use the rest for.
Steve.
Not my circus, not my monkey.

Ge_Whiz

Well, MOSFETs and JFETs are rather different beasts.

Check out some of the circuits at www.runoffgroove.com for ideas - especially the Peppermill and the Matchbox (both thoroughly recommended).

Hal

fuzzface - (multiface) circuits are very versitilie when it comes to that.  Pop in anything that amplefies, and you're set!

Steve Newton

The only examples of Mosfet useage I have in books is either for power amps or showing simple uses of individual elements of a 4007 without much explanation. Nothing that will really help me to grok the use of them.

Anybody know of an online cookbook/technotes or whatever. Or am I doomed to making 50 boosters!!!!

For instance is it easy to use a BS170 as a voltage controled resistor? Do you just feed the control voltage into the Gate terminal via a resistor or does it need more involved circuitry?
Steve.
Not my circus, not my monkey.

gez

Quote from: Steve Newton on October 28, 2005, 05:18:12 PM
For instance is it easy to use a BS170 as a voltage controled resistor?

Yes, used it in many circuits.  Need DC bias on it (trimpot time).

QuoteDo you just feed the control voltage into the Gate terminal via a resistor

Yes, resistor not necessarily needed.   Whether you need additional circuitry depends on the circuit and what you're trying to achieve...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter