This is "Satisfaction" period!

Started by jmusser, October 27, 2005, 12:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

I just plugged it in for a couple minutes, because it's horribly late, but I will no longer have to build the Maestro. The Tone Bender Mark II Professional NPN Germanium version from G. G. G. IS that tone! It absolutely nails that tone to the wall. Marty Mart turned me on to the OC140 NPNs, so I bought several. They are absolutely awesome, new old stock Ministry of Defense, NPN germaniums. My Si tone Bender is also wonderful in it's own way, but different in tone. This one has that 60s tone you've been looking for, if you want the Maestro Satisfaction tone. With what little bit I have messed with it now, the "Attack" pot, can only be at about the half way point, or it makes the effect turn gatey. I don't know if it has something to do with the bias, but it sure seems so. It has a very heavy buzzy fuzz, but still not as aggressive as the Shin-ei I built a few hours before it. Both are wonderful! I am thrashed, and it's time for bed. I guess a lot of people might travel on their vacation. I decided to build Classic Effects. Man, it's a sickness!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Fret Wire

It's got killer tone with the Attack pot only half way up? What guitar/amp are you running it through?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Harry

After trying unsuccesfully to build the Fuzz-Tone I easily built Escobedo's Lofo Mofo and got the 2,000 Pound Bee tone I was after. Much simpler.

MartyMart

Oh Oh ..... "Fuzz Sickness"  !
watch out with that, it causes your "wallet" to become very "light" !!   :icon_wink:
MKII Pro, yup that is quite a "killer tone"  nice  :D

Marty. ( Back from Wales today )
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

RedHouse

Where can we source these OC140 NPNs?

Fret Wire

The MKII Pro is quite the fuzz, a nice alternative to the standard Dallas Fuzz. Cuts thru nicely with single coils. I'm amazed it sounded so "heavy" and "buzzy" being misbiased, and with the Attack pot (1k lin.) only half way up.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com