Big Muff experts.....

Started by screamingdaisy, October 28, 2005, 08:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screamingdaisy

I need some help identifying an old Big Muff circuit....

It appears to be a VerII "Rams Head" cct inside a VerIII housing.....but it has a big ass cap laying across the cct, which appears to be either a mod of some sort, though someone I talked to seems to feel that this makes it a VerI "Triangle Muff" cct.

Anway, the transistors are BC239 and that cap is 470uF.

So, if anyone can ID whether this is a verI or verII circuit or not, it would be appreciated.

And, if anyone might happen to know what this cap does, it would also be appreciated.

Cheers :)

P.S. - Pictures to follow.

screamingdaisy

Unmodded VerII "Rams Head" Muff;

And for easy comparison, mine again (notice the big cap in the lower left hand corner);

I'm trying to get a pic of the top half the the cct as well as the person who posted that top pic says the top of mine doesn't match his either.....

the dude

not sure on the version, but it looks like a filter cap, probaly modded by someone,
JR

cd

Do you mean the big cap on the foil side of the board?  That's probably a power filter cap - no big deal really, it just filters hum, doesn't have a large effect on tone besides that.

The thing to remember with EH effects really, is that in their first incarnation, they'd mostly throw whatever parts they had on hand (which were close enough) into their pedals.  Not enough 12k resistors?  Pfft, throw some 10ks in there... or 13ks... or 15ks, whatever.  Which is why if you have a really good sounding one, you have to check each part (with a meter, preferably) and determine its value.

screamingdaisy

Quote from: cd on October 28, 2005, 08:48:05 PM
Which is why if you have a really good sounding one, you have to check each part (with a meter, preferably) and determine its value.

Half the fun with EHX is searching for the good ones....

....or half the fustration if you don't know any better and buy the first one you find. :)

On a side note, this is the lowest gain and best sounding Muff I've come across.  It also sounds killer on bass and doesn't dump bottom end like the re-issues do.

petemoore

I didn't realize how large those boards are, the components have alot of 'lawn area', the way they're housed, I wonder if large boarding like that would tend to contribute noise.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

screamingdaisy

Quote from: petemoore on October 28, 2005, 11:00:49 PM
  I didn't realize how large those boards are, the components have alot of 'lawn area', the way they're housed, I wonder if large boarding like that would tend to contribute noise.

Probably not as much as the cheap components and cold solder joints.....

....this one's pretty quiet though....even with the effect on it doesn't feedback like other Muffs I've used.