Bazz Fuzz makes no sound

Started by Anthrax, October 29, 2005, 04:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthrax

1.What does it do, not do, and sound like?
no sound
2.Name of the circuit =Bazz Fuzz
3.Source of the circuit (URL of schematic or project) = http://home-wrecker.com/bazz3.png
4.Any modifications to the circuit? Y
i have the negative of the battery going straight to ground, there is no voume control

5.Any parts substitutions?
using 1 BC547B
and 1 orange led

6.Positive ground to negative ground conversion?N(i dont think so)
7.Turn your meter on, set it to the 10V or 20V scale. Remove the battery from the battery clip. Probe the battery terminals with the meter leads before putting it in the clip. What is the out of circuit battery voltage? =>8.5

when i place the battery in, the led glows very softly

Joe

might be an issue with the jack wiring?

R.G.

Unfortunately, the questions you have answered from "what to do when it doesn't work" are only the peripheral issues, not the meat of the problem.

Without the detailed votlage measurements as requested, there really isn't much that can be guessed about what's wrong with your circuit. Could you provide the complete set of info? If so, we could be of some help.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Anthrax

which points do i measure from ?

Anthrax

C(transistor)  = 2.28
B(transistor) =  0.62

R.G.

That clarifies it some. I think you have the device connected backwards. It's a different pinout from the MPSA13.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Anthrax

thanks alot. the pinout i was reading from was wrong.

now, its fuzzy, but its got NO note decay. i play the high notes, and it just stops sound after 2 secs. i guess i need a differnt diode to get a differnt sound ?

Anthrax

i just tryed it with my bass, and it sounds @#$%ing awesome.  ;D

Anthrax

anyone have any ideas about the problems i'm having using it with guitar ?

basicly anything on the high e string doesnt not get through.

when i play on the low e string its fuzzy and nice, but its that high e string that has problems. i'm hoping its just the diode(using LED)

Jaicen_solo

I'd say, stick a Ge diode in there instead. Orange LED's have quite a high forward voltage, so that might be where you're losing some signal. Also, you may have to alter some of the parts values. MPSA14's want a larger collector resistor to bias correctly.

Noplasticrobots

I disliked the note decay for guitar also. Because I didn't have any other diodes laying around, I just messed with the caps. I think I changed the input cap to a 0.1uf ceramic disk and the other cap to a .33uf poly (non polarized). I liked how it sounded on my guitar. I also changed the transistor to the MPSA13 from the original.
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

Anthrax

These are the diodes i have access to

1N4148
1N4004

which would be the best to use?

Jaicen_solo

1N4004's are high voltage, I haven't checked the data sheet but I imagine they'd be unsuitable. 1N4148's on the other hand would be perfect. Stick one of those in and see what happens.

Joe

Try a large resistor across the diode, say 1M. That should help the gating. The type of diode doesn't really matter in this circuit, there won't be much of a difference between 1N400x and other Si parts.

Anthrax

Quote from: Joe on October 30, 2005, 10:52:25 AM
Try a large resistor across the diode, say 1M. That should help the gating. The type of diode doesn't really matter in this circuit, there won't be much of a difference between 1N400x and other Si parts.

i tryed this it helped a little. i think i'll just put a compressor infront of it, that will give it some nice sustain.  :icon_mrgreen:

Anthrax

if i dont use a diode, will it have a good boost ?