"New [old] Tube amp !!!"

Started by petemoore, October 30, 2005, 01:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Sunday 1/2 off anything over 50$, tag sale special.
  Zenith Ambassador.
  Almost OT for SB Forum, don't mess with this without knowing there may be [and probably are] potentially lethal high voltages doing this.
  Input was easy, red [source input] and white [ground to chassis] wires coming from the lugs of an otherwise unused RCA jack.
  Output transformer is mouted on the speaker.
  Two tubes, and a schematic for the few other components.
  Volume, Tone pots.
  It worked as bought for 2.50, I pulled the phonograph motor's plug from the jack in the amp frame, because the gearing system was making 'wobbley noise' and that could be heard in the speaker [probably a microphonic tube] and without the amp helping the noise was quite 'noticable'.
  I found two of the connections conducted through the motor[according to the DMM] so I connected them, turned it on/blew a fuse...apparently the schematic shows these connect through a tapped coil in the motor...
  I reconnected the motor minus the red coil tap, and amp tubes didn't light.
  Motor completely connected, and the 'rubber on rubber' gear taper wheels taken off ... silent motor operation, tube amp works.
  Sounded 'ok' with a ZW OD driving it, needs another speaker and an enclusure [ I can use the box bottom for the enclosure, the speaker is just 'mounted' in the box, without even a complete soundboard....'rattley' sounding...otherwise it's a nice little portable amp with a little 'upgrading'...1/4'' input jack, 2 speakers [enclosed], and most probably some effects, permanently mounted.
  Nice vintage Phonograph Case.   
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Got an input jack/jack mount plate.
  Found the speaker ohmage [after about 15 minutes of not figureing out that really small ohmages, ITCase 4.2, don't register on the radar unless the meter is set for low range] at 4.2ohms...BeTthatAsItMay.
  Wired the amp to 2x10's [light] in an oversized cab, 5.1ohms.
  This little doggy CRANKS up to 'low' volume with FF...[almost LOUD] !, very great grind tone to it too.
  I think this is similar enough to the Epiphone amp to make comparisons...
  The thing gets quite cranky sounding when hammered with FF volume output, I think maybe I've always had "too big an amp for the speakers' after trying this out.  As far as FF crunch goes, kind of adds a whole new element to that.
  Not much to it, 2 tubes, 1 speaker Mount tranny, 1 large multi can cap, a few more axial caps beneath, no board, Schematic, [thank's to Zenith quality], and a few resistors...oh, and one phonodrive motor coil...lol...if I ever decide it needs a cooling fan, I'll have a motor all wired up for that...I was trying to think of some kind of motorized light show  :P...The speaker it came with was way too weak for the amp IMO, even considering the needle probably didn't output anything like a FF.
  The tubes have coin shaped grey spots just to the side of the..the..'plates?...does that contribute anything about the condition of the tubes, besides the fact they are almost certainly very old?

squidsquad

Hey...I think what ya did there was pretty cool!

In my fantasy....
I'd find a gutted, vintage, art deco/cathedral radio shell...(cheap)
and put something like a Deluxe (with NICE reverb) into it.

petemoore

Well I'm decided on building up this one.
  I just spent an hour with the Teen'Z'...sorry, but that's the abbrev.
  It sounds just wonderful, dig in time 'cause it only bites back a little bit, I love the voice of this through those speakers and...I was grinding the squish out of it for 45, cleanup for 15min. not total cleanup at all, just big fun.
  I need to try it on clean more.
  Great sound to play on, like all amps I've had, this one sounds different than all the otheres.
  Seems to have a very nice effect on the two 10'' lightweight speakers.