ToneBender MkIII report. Pics!

Started by Steben, October 31, 2005, 05:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

Man this thing screams! Very very nice. Build mine with AC125's I had around.
First I had weak sound. Something like a temperature unstable germanium FF on tahiti... . then I Swapped Q1 and Q2 and this way it sounded more mid-compressed. With Humbuckers nice Jimmy Page sounds. Too bad I'm building this for a friend...  :icon_mrgreen:

However, it should have a treble cut cap on the output IMHO, so it is more easy to combine with others...

THE BOX (unfinished...)

Box, practice amp and guts of one of the nasty ones.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Steben

Ok, soundwise: full fuzz, tone mid position: Really really digs one of Jimmy Pages Solos in Heartbreaker (the heavy part of the interludium, with lots of rhythm guitars...)
  • SUPPORTER

gaussmarkov

nice box, too. :)  did you use white decals for the graphics?

Aurin

Ivana

nice box, of course, but I am glad to read that you are inpressed from (of?) the sound.  ;)
I have some questions:
- what scheme do you make? Do you have 10 kohm from Q3 collector to GROUND or you eliminate this like some people do?
- what is your Q3 collector voltage?

... and any information that I "forget" to ask but you think it is important.  :)

JimRayden

Quote from: Ivana on October 31, 2005, 04:52:41 PM
nice box, of course, but I am glad to read that you are inpressed from (of?) the sound.  ;)

by. :)

----------
Jimbo

Steben

I used stock circuit with AC125's. 10k is there. Somehow it sounded better swapping Q1 and Q2. Thanks to my dad's suggestions I'm thinking of placing silicons there, since the very slight difference in gain for a hell of a noise advantage, you see? Germ tone comes from +diode and Q3 (which in fact acts more as a -diode too) anyway.
I think swapping the series 250k pot to a 25k volume arrangement could make it sound more overdrive at low fuzz.

Decals are in fact no decals but rather thin glossy HP photo paper (120grams/m²?). I simply glued it  :icon_mrgreen: but it worked out fine. Another clear coat on it and bingo...
  • SUPPORTER

MartyB

WHOAHH...!   Do they get any prettier than that??   Beautiful job Steben!!
8)